Sex of my Muscovy ducks?

I'll see if i can help...

First at these ages you should get only hissing/huffing from males(drakes) they do NOT do anything else past several months, females on the other hand have many vocals.. they chirp, they coo, trill.. and honk/quack plus they hiss.

Most males don't fly well as they approach a year that said you may have a few more svelte that can so don't go by that lol

Size is really where it's at... for the sake of something more current.. that is a duck in behind, that is a drake in front.. none of these birds are 1yo. See the sizing? Drakes usually flesh up faster that said females do vary with it so don't take that one to the bank either.

To go back to quite young birds these are two that show the sizing is evident even younger... white is a drake, chocolate a duck.

Now for whatever it's worth lol i find chocolate boys look girly.. maybe it's just my mindset but here is my one and only chocolate drake..

Not in this shot but he's only 6mths now...

The birds in my avatar are females and chocolates.. about between 2-3yrs old i'd have to look them up lol

Generally i dislike trying to guess it online because perspectives vary and i hate to mislead that is why i prefer to show people what i have...

How do these birds size up against each other? again vocals normally i never say use this but at those ages, do so.. it will show you the way lol There simply to old for drakes to do anything more than hiss/huff.

ALL scovies tail wag, ALL scoives have Mohawks... none of that is a sex determining factor. Basing on my several years of owning the breed and the dozens i have had.. i am leaning on i think the 2nd being a drake...

Last edited:
Oh and for simply fun, i have a duck(okay two her daughter as well)

That look just like the 4th one lol

The birds to the left and for reference these are all ducks lol most under 1yo with the one being almost 2yrs.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for your replies! I brought some bread out this morning and listened to the sounds each duck made. All except for the one in the second picture made a range of vocalizations. The one in the second picture was pretty much silent. So, I'm guessing, based on GoingQuackers comments, that I have 4 females and one male. Funny, the females kept chasing the (suspected) male away from the food!

Thanks again for all of the help!!

Oh and for simply fun, i have a duck(okay two her daughter as well) That look just like the 4th one lol The birds to the left and for reference these are all ducks lol most under 1yo with the one being almost 2yrs.
Beautiful ducks! I love the black one in the lower right corner!! Seems up here in our part of Washington, people mostly have chocolate Muscovies. It's rare to see the black ones.

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I brought some bread out this morning and listened to the sounds each duck made. All except for the one in the second picture made a range of vocalizations. The one in the second picture was pretty much silent. So, I'm guessing, based on GoingQuackers comments, that I have 4 females and one male. Funny, the females kept chasing the (suspected) male away from the food!

Thanks again for all of the help!!

It's funny everyone always talks about the drakes.. yeah, well the ladies sure know how to kick off and show who's boss! That is my guess based on the pictures don't bet the farm on it lol but i believe to the best of the ability i can from here that is the sexes you have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom