Sexing 11 week old Chicks. RIR Rusty and Acme, a Jersey Giant

PDXJULES

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Portland, Oregon USA - 97217
Well, Saddle feathers have begun to poke out on my 7 Chicks. Seeking second opinions on Rusty, the Red, and any other Rooster suspect you might spot in this 6 AM Video.

I ordered Brown Egg Layers from Meyer Hatchery, and paid extra to be sure I got Exchequer Leghorn and Barred Plymouth Rock females. It was a Memorial Day Hatch so the facility may have been very busy with Chicks, orders and local families. It was a Monday Holiday after a USPS weekend, possibly short staffed due to the Covid19 Pandemic Holiday? I've wondered if hatch-day sexing odds would be their usual numbers? IDK, but it has been a long wait to try to confirm Gender. I don't want to get rid of ANY which may still present mystery factors in sexing. No crowing yet, but lots of chest butting and hackle flays lately by both Reds. Thank You for any observations and opinions on Cockerel evidence. Happy summer!

and here's a vid from last week, with a closer look at Acme - who also developed early red Comb and Wattles. They have yellow feet, so probable Jersey Giant, on my 2 mostly black feathered girls. Hope Acme is a hen!

Thank you for the quick replies! That's what I've been afraid of. I think I'll try to fatten him up a couple weeks with grapes and pears for the crock pot, and meanwhile ask area folks if they are seeking a fresh bloodline on a sweet lil Rooster, to give him a chance to express his full Chicken potential. Will still try to get a short vid posted here featuring ACME, the slower grower of my 2 probable Jersey Giants (at first thot they were Australorp - but they both have yellow feet) ...who started getting Wattle and Comb color and development by 8 weeks. Their tailfeathers also were slow to develop, but lately have looked very round to me. Both Rusty and Acme look to me like hen bodies, not as upright as one expects from a Roo - and the larger PBRs sure have no trouble dominating them around food and water.

Additional flock pics at 11 weeks. The 7 spread out solo or in small groups, to explore several areas in The Casbah between group preening, tandem dust-bathing and buddy-perching or roosting. The Red featured in these below, is Goldie, who has very little Comb development or color. Straight tail, beginning to get wispy Saddle Feathers. Sort of a loner lately, sure likes to show hackles and will step forward for a Chest Butting opportunity in the play area - with Rusty, Acme or Crowella deVille.

Attachments

• 20200810_130547.jpg
    20200810_130547.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200809_182942_HDR.jpg
    20200809_182942_HDR.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200808_111713.jpg
    20200808_111713.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Back