Help with identifying and sexing confirmation of 6 week old chicks

Aug 17, 2023
Central, East-Coast Florida
Hello everyone!
I am looking for some community help from most of you that have been chicken parents a lot longer than I have been. So today my 9 chicks are exactly 6 weeks old. I purchased them from MPC/MEYERS Hatchery. I recieved them the very next day after hatching and they have all been extremely healthy and lively. They are each a different breed, and except for the Partridge Penedesenca (#4) that came with an identifying legband, I have had to guess at the rest from the ones that I have ordered. #'s 1, 2, & 3, I am not sure which one is which but I have given it my best shot, which are between a Light Brown Leghorn, a Bielefelder and a Partridge Olive Egger. #4 is the Partridge Penedesenca, but I am suspicious it might be a cockeral, and #'s 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9, I am somewhat confident of their breed or pretty positive of them, which are in order, Gold Cuckoo Marans, Super Blue Egg Layer (MPC exclusive), Queen Green Easter Egger, Silver Speckled Hamburg & a Exchequer Leghorn. I would just like your opinions if I am, or am not, correct on those. Also, I would appreciate any thoughts on the sexes of all of them since they are all supposed to be pullets, of which #'s 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 I am pretty sure are. #'s1 ,2 & 4, I am not so sure about. Anyway, I would be very grateful for any input anyone is willing to give, and thank you for taking the time. 🙂
*P.S. I know I am handling them in these photos, but I couldn't seem to get clear shots otherwise, so I tried to get different angles of each.*

Here is #1, Comet(?), which I think is the Light Brown Leghorn(?) and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_204354.jpg
20230925_204519.jpg
20230925_204629.jpg
20230925_204718.jpg
20230925_204806.jpg

Here is #2, Rebeckah(?), which I think is the Bielefelder(?) and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_204929.jpg
20230925_205029.jpg
20230925_205126.jpg
20230925_205230.jpg

Here is #3, Olive Oil(?), which I think is the Partridge Olive Egger(?) and I do think is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_205348.jpg
20230925_205440.jpg
20230925_205554.jpg
20230925_205643.jpg

Here is #4, Penelope Pitstop(?), which I know is the Partridge Penedesenca, because it was the only one identified with a legband, but I am suspicious it might be a cockeral(?), but am hoping is a pullet. 👇
20230925_210231.jpg
20230925_210336.jpg
20230925_210503.jpg
20230925_210918.jpg

Here is #5, Maya, which I am pretty sure is the Gold Cuckoo Marans, and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_211026.jpg
20230925_211119.jpg
20230925_211216.jpg
20230925_211259.jpg

Here is #6, Perdita, which I am almost positive is the Super Blue Egg Layer (a MPC exclusive), and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_211444.jpg
20230925_211603.jpg
20230925_211741.jpg
20230925_211856.jpg

Here is #7, Queenie, which I am almost positive is the Green Queen Easter Egger (a MPC exclusive?), and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_212011.jpg
20230925_212103.jpg
20230925_212234.jpg
20230925_212338.jpg

Here is #8, Miss Speckles, which I am positive is the Silver Spangled Hamburg, and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_212452.jpg
20230925_212620.jpg
20230925_212828.jpg
20230925_212919.jpg

Here is #9, Merida (my sweetest & favorite), which I am positive is the Exchequer Leghorn, and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
20230925_213016.jpg
20230925_213116.jpg
20230925_213241.jpg
20230925_213334.jpg

Thank you to anyone helping me with these chicks above. Also, since it was picture day around the coop, I didn't want to leave out my original TSC babies that are a little over 15 months old now. 👇

This is my Roo, 'Kian-Roo' (Commercial Red(?)) with his wife 'Possie' (Commercial Red(?)), and his favorite Girlfriend 'Owlette' (Easter Egger).👇
Resized_Resized_20230925_163030.jpg

And this is 'Jet' (A.K.A. 'Freckles'-Gold Laced Wyandotte). * She's the head boss. Even Kian-Roo doesn't mess with her, lol.*👇
Resized_Resized_20230925_163143.jpg

And last, but not least, in the nest box, 'Indigo' (A.K.A. 'Ding-A-Ling', A.K.A. 'Cray-Cray'-my other Gold Laced Wyandotte). 👇
Resized_Resized_20230925_162746.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I would appreciate any thoughts on the sexes of all of them since they are all supposed to be pullets, of which #'s 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 I am pretty sure are. #'s1 ,2 & 4, I am not so sure about
I think they probably are all pullets.

Here is #1, Comet(?), which I think is the Light Brown Leghorn(?) and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
You might be right about the breed.
That bird should be a pullet. The salmon color in the breast is a female-specific trait for chickens with that overall coloring. A male would have a black breast at that age.

Here is #2, Rebeckah(?), which I think is the Bielefelder(?) and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
I feel that the color is not right for a Bielefelder, but it should be a pullet anyway because of the breast color (salmon-colored breast, not black breast or even another shade of brown.)

Here is #3, Olive Oil(?), which I think is the Partridge Olive Egger(?) and I do think is a pullet(?). 👇
Now that one looks more like a Bielefelder. I think you have #2 and #3 breeds swapped. This one also looks like a pullet, again because of the breast color, but also because of the comb being small and pale.

(Note: of course not every breed can be sexed by breast color at this age. But you have a whole clump that can.)

Here is #4, Penelope Pitstop(?), which I know is the Partridge Penedesenca, because it was the only one identified with a legband, but I am suspicious it might be a cockeral(?), but am hoping is a pullet. 👇
I think that looks like female coloring, but I'm not entirely positive. Mypetchicken does not seem to have whole-body photos of a male, and I'm not having much luck finding them elsewhere either. But the description on mypetchicken does make me think a male should have a black breast and a lot more black in other places.

Some breeds have very big combs at maturity (including Leghorns and Penedesencas), and the chicks of those breeds can have larger combs than the chicks of some other breeds. Yours definitely has a pale-colored comb and wattles (where a cockerel would probably have a brighter pink or red comb & wattles by now.)

Here is #5, Maya, which I am pretty sure is the Gold Cuckoo Marans, and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
I think you are probably right on both counts.

Here is #6, Perdita, which I am almost positive is the Super Blue Egg Layer (a MPC exclusive), and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
Based on the comb and wattles (small and pale), I agree about probably pullet.
As for which kind it is, after looking at all the rest, I agree that is should be the Super Blue Egg Layer.

Here is #7, Queenie, which I am almost positive is the Green Queen Easter Egger (a MPC exclusive?), and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
This one looks female to me (mainly comb & wattles, but the color/pattern "look" female to me too. I've been fooled before by birds that "look" female to me, so I'm glad to have comb & wattles as an extra check.)

Considering the feathered feet, I agree this is probably the Green Queen.

Here is #8, Miss Speckles, which I am positive is the Silver Spangled Hamburg, and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
Looks female to me, and I agree about this one being a Silver Spangled Hamburg. They're pretty distinctive ;)

Here is #9, Merida (my sweetest & favorite), which I am positive is the Exchequer Leghorn, and I am hoping is a pullet(?). 👇
I agree about Exchequer Leghorn, another nice distinctive breed.
Looking at the comb and wattles, they are a little on the big side, but are still nice and pale. Since this is a Leghorn, I think this is just a case of a large-comb chicken breed, not a male. (Like a few of the others.)

Last edited:

That bird should be a pullet. The salmon color in the breast is a female-specific trait for chickens with that overall coloring. A male would have a black breast at that age.

I feel that the color is not right for a Bielefelder, but it should be a pullet anyway because of the breast color (salmon-colored breast, not black breast or even another shade of brown.)

Now that one looks more like a Bielefelder. I think you have #2 and #3 breeds swapped. This one also looks like a pullet, again because of the breast color, but also because of the comb being small and pale.

(Note: of course not every breed can be sexed by breast color at this age. But you have a whole clump that can.)

I think that looks like female coloring, but I'm not entirely positive. Mypetchicken does not seem to have whole-body photos of a male, and I'm not having much luck finding them elsewhere either. But the description on mypetchicken does make me think a male should have a black breast and a lot more black in other places.

Some breeds have very big combs at maturity (including Leghorns and Penedesencas), and the chicks of those breeds can have larger combs than the chicks of some other breeds. Yours definitely has a pale-colored comb and wattles (where a cockerel would probably have a brighter pink or red comb & wattles by now.)

As for which kind it is, after looking at all the rest, I agree that is should be the Super Blue Egg Layer.

This one looks female to me (mainly comb & wattles, but the color/pattern "look" female to me too. I've been fooled before by birds that "look" female to me, so I'm glad to have comb & wattles as an extra check.)

Looks female to me, and I agree about this one being a Silver Spangled Hamburg. They're pretty distinctive ;)

Looking at the comb and wattles, they are a little on the big size, but are still nice and pale. Since this is a Leghorn, I think this is just a case of a large-comb chicken breed, not a male. (Like a few of the others.)
X2

Looking at the comb and wattles, they are a little on the big side, but are still nice and pale. Since this is a Leghorn, I think this is just a case of a large-comb chicken breed, not a male. (Like a few of the others.)
Thank you so much NatJ for all your input and taking the time to do it. PLUS BONUS, I am thrilled with your honest opinion of the results I am hoping for on all counts. Again, thank you so very much. 😊

Thank you very much AuntieJessi3 for seconding NatJ observations. I truly appreciate it, and the time you took to go over it all. You are both relieving me of any worries so far, about any roos, and it looks like I might only have 2 of them mixed up, which is a bonus., and confirming that the breeds I actually ordered do match up with what I have. 😊

I'm new and have no clue what you have, and I'm also hoping for help sexing my 6 week old chicks, but I just have to say you have the most beautiful flock!!! Goals!
Thank you Ficklechickadee. I just love them so much. I am also somewhat new to this, a little over a year now, and never dreamed when I got them how much more they are a blessing to me then I to them. Now I am addicted! They are the best mind and soul calmers ever! You should post pics of yours also, so that others here can help you with yours as well. 😊

Thank you very much AuntieJessi3 for seconding NatJ observations. I truly appreciate it, and the time you took to go over it all. You are both relieving me of any worries so far, about any roos, and it looks like I might only have 2 of them mixed up, which is a bonus., and confirming that the breeds I actually ordered do match up with what I have. 😊
I've ordered birds from MPC twice and they are lovely, healthy ladies! I hope you enjoy all your new personalities!

Thank you Ficklechickadee. I just love them so much. I am also somewhat new to this, a little over a year now, and never dreamed when I got them how much more they are a blessing to me then I to them. Now I am addicted! They are the best mind and soul calmers ever! You should post pics of yours also, so that others here can help you with yours as well. 😊
I did start another thread, and so far no one thinks roosters. Yay! We had chickens about 12 yrs ago when the kids were small. I am definitely enjoying them more than I thought I would. They all have their own sweet personalities already. We only got 4 but now I think I want 8 after seeing yours!!!

Back
Top Bottom