• Cockerel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

revinnova

Hatching
Jun 7, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Hi everyone,
I am just starting to own backyard chickens. I got 3 chicks from my local feed store. Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and an Ameraucana. They are supposed to be 90% sexed as pullets; however, I am not sure if my barred rock might be a rooster. It has a large headspot and pretty light legs. Here are some pics from 1 week and 2 weeks of age:

Attachments

• 20190528_170913.jpg
    20190528_170913.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190606_224203.jpg
    20190606_224203.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 102
Too young to tell yet. Nothing screaming rooster yet. Watch the comb and wattles for sure sign.

You can't tell by leg wash or head dot size in hatchery chicks, or even chicks from different lines. It is very line specific and if only carefully bred in Barred Rocks.

Good luck with your new little additions. :D

LofMc

needs more feathering, but doesn't say cockerel yet.

Btw.... the 'ameraucana'; if you got it from a feed store, its probably an easter egger. Unfortunately feed stores and hatcheries get away with doing this all the time.

My thinking is a pullet, because I've noticed that even at 2 weeks old maybe, that the rooster comb points are more defined than pullets where it looks like some points are fused or with leghorn pullets, some will be already draped over and not standing straight up. Then again, I could be wrong and that's a rooster.

needs more feathering, but doesn't say cockerel yet.

Btw.... the 'ameraucana'; if you got it from a feed store, its probably an easter egger. Unfortunately feed stores and hatcheries get away with doing this all the time.

How can I tell the difference between an Ameracauna and an EE? I have attached a picture of the "Ameracauna" I have acquired.

Attachments

• 20190524_192958.jpg
    20190524_192958.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
How can I tell the difference between an Ameracauna and an EE? I have attached a picture of the "Ameracauna" I have acquired.
Ameraucana have a specific breed standard they must adhere to in order to be considered actual "Ameraucana" whereas EE do not. There are a very specific set of colors recognized for the Ameraucana breed, where EE can come in all sorts of colors and combination of patterns.

if you got it from a feed store, or most hatcheries... its an EE. Here are some guidelines:

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/12/ameraucana-vs-araucana-vs-easter-egger.html

AMERAUCANAS

Ameraucanas are a pure breed that has been recognized by the APA (American Poultry Association) since 1984. They were most likely originally bred from South American blue egg laying breeds but were developed and standardized in the United States. They come in eight distinct colors including, Blue, Black, White and Wheaten, which all share these distinct Ameraucana traits:

Peacomb

Muffs and beard

Red earlobes

Tail

Blue legs

White foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

ARAUCANAS

Araucanas are more rare than Amerauacanas and harder to find. They are also a pure breed and have been recognized by the APA since 1976. They originated in Chile most likely and come in five colors including black, white, duckwing silver and golden. Araucanas all share these distinct Araucana traits:

Peacomb

Ear tufts (this gene is lethal to developing chicks if inherited by both parents)

Red earlobes

Rumpless (no tail)

Green or willow-colored legs (Yellow on white birds)

Yellow foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

EASTER EGGERS

Easter Eggers are not a recognized breed. They are mongrels or mutts - mixed breed chickens that do possess the blue egg gene, but don't fully meet the breed specifications of either Araucanas or Ameraucanas. They can come in any color or combination of colors and share these traits:

Any kind of comb

Muffs/beard/ear tufts or none

Any color earlobes

Tail or tail-less

Any color legs

Any color foot bottoms

Can lay blue but also sometimes lay green, tan, pink or even yellow

So if you want to be guaranteed blue egg layers, you will want to raise some Araucanas or Ameraucanas; otherwise Easter Eggers are always fun because you never know what color egg each will lay until she starts laying, and even identical-looking hens often lay varying shades of bluish or greenish eggs.

if you got it from a feed store, or most hatcheries... its an EE. Here are some guidelines:

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/12/ameraucana-vs-araucana-vs-easter-egger.html

AMERAUCANAS

Ameraucanas are a pure breed that has been recognized by the APA (American Poultry Association) since 1984. They were most likely originally bred from South American blue egg laying breeds but were developed and standardized in the United States. They come in eight distinct colors including, Blue, Black, White and Wheaten, which all share these distinct Ameraucana traits:

Peacomb

Muffs and beard

Red earlobes

Tail

Blue legs

White foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

ARAUCANAS

Araucanas are more rare than Amerauacanas and harder to find. They are also a pure breed and have been recognized by the APA since 1976. They originated in Chile most likely and come in five colors including black, white, duckwing silver and golden. Araucanas all share these distinct Araucana traits:

Peacomb

Ear tufts (this gene is lethal to developing chicks if inherited by both parents)

Red earlobes

Rumpless (no tail)

Green or willow-colored legs (Yellow on white birds)

Yellow foot bottoms

Always lay blue eggs

EASTER EGGERS

Easter Eggers are not a recognized breed. They are mongrels or mutts - mixed breed chickens that do possess the blue egg gene, but don't fully meet the breed specifications of either Araucanas or Ameraucanas. They can come in any color or combination of colors and share these traits:

Any kind of comb

Muffs/beard/ear tufts or none

Any color earlobes

Tail or tail-less

Any color legs

Any color foot bottoms

Can lay blue but also sometimes lay green, tan, pink or even yellow

So if you want to be guaranteed blue egg layers, you will want to raise some Araucanas or Ameraucanas; otherwise Easter Eggers are always fun because you never know what color egg each will lay until she starts laying, and even identical-looking hens often lay varying shades of bluish or greenish eggs.
I was literally pasting the link to your thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...aucana-vs-easter-egger.1232479/#post-19777279) when you posted this lol

Back
Top Bottom