Sexing 3 week old chicks

16947071316154681523327848305313.jpg
16947073115301021162056109521.jpg
1694707284833864647612798402384.jpg

Attachments

• 16947073753525092127362315031228.jpg
    16947073753525092127362315031228.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 13
I would give them all a bit longer to be certain, before making any permanent decisions. My guesses at present:

I think the blue chick in post #2 is a male.

The black chick in post #3 is a male (I am most sure about him.) He's got either a pea or rose comb, not single like some of the others.

Of the white chicks, I think the first one in post #3 is probably a male.

The buff chick in post #2 (first photo in that post) looks like a maybe-male to me, but that might just be the angle of the photo.

The other chicks might be females, or they might be males who are developing more slowly. I would definitely keep watching all of them.

That's a lot of roos! My chickens are my pets so what should I do with the roos. I would like them to have a happy home.
You can make a big pen and let all the males live together, apart from the females. That keeps them from pestering the females. Sometimes the males will all get along well enough, and sometimes they fight enough to cause injury and need to be separated. If they grow up together, and you have that many of them, I think it increases the chances of them getting along fairly well.

If you cannot keep males, then of course you will have to do something else. Or if you do not want to keep them all.

You can try to sell them or give them away. That sometimes works, and sometimes does not work. If you want to be very picky about what homes they go to, it is much harder. It is easier to find people who want a chicken to butcher & eat, than to find people who want a pet rooster or a rooster for breeding.

It sounds like you would probably not want to butcher them & eat them.( Some people like that method of dealing with excess roosters, and some people do not.)

Thanks if they don't sell I'll give them away or make a rooster flock and I'll keep a few anyway. What should the ratio of hens to roos be?

What should the ratio of hens to roos be?
Many people recommend one rooster for 10 hens. That is about right for a big commercial breeding flock, where they want the fewest possible roosters while still having all the eggs be fertile (which is where that ratio originated.)

In small backyard flocks, with one or a few roosters, the temperament of the individual rooster makes an enormous difference. Some roosters can have 20 hens and still overmate their favorites (so those poor hens have bald backs and heads, and can get injured.) Some other roosters do fine with just one or two hens, without any signs of overmating.

Hens can do just fine with no roosters at all, unless you want fertile eggs for hatching.

For a basic starting point, maybe try 1 rooster for any number of hens between 5 and 15, with more than one rooster if you have more hens than that. No matter what numbers you start with, be prepared to adjust one way or the other as you see how your specific birds do.

Back
Top Bottom