sexing 4 month old barred rock

silodear

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Hi there!

I'm new to BYC and this is my first post. I've got 4 four month old pullets (fingers crossed) and 4 six week old chicks. My barred rock has seemed like a pullet up until this week, when her waddle suddenly grew darker and larger than all the other girls. She also has a few of the rooster-like curled tail feathers. These traits aside, this chicken ("Toaster") is the lowest on the pecking order and her legs appear to be the same size as the other girls. Would love your thoughts!

Rooster. Our plymouth rock pullets are just about to lay and aren't as red or large as that. We had a RIR turn out to be a rooster and about 8 weeks in I noticed the same thing. At 9 weeks he let out his first crow which was hysterical. They are usually super duper friendly young and want to be held all the time. The rooster isn't always at the top of the pecking order or aggressive. Ours didn't really get aggressive because we held him all the time. He was kind of a wimp because we wanted him to be a little docile, but he was great when it came to defending the girls against danger. Make sure you have a rooster plan if you can't keep them! :)

welcome-byc.gif

I think it's a pullet reaching point of lay.

Thanks everyone! We got these birds together with friends who got 8 of their own. They were raised all together, then split when our coop was ready. Our friends have gotten two tiny eggs over the past two days, so we have fingers crossed that these girls (br included) might start laying for us soon. Thanks again for all the feedback and confirmation. :)

Hi all!

I know it's been a couple years since this thread started, but I have a 4 month old barred rock that looks a lot like the one pictured. She/he has not really developed a comb or waddle yet, but does have a couple of tail feathers that curve downwards.

I'm curious - did the one pictured on this thread end up being a hen or a cock?

Thanks!

Hi @otakalhasas!

This chicken turned out to be a hen, as nearly everyone suggested. She's a great layer and still has a redder comb and waddle than the other girls. She's also the most inquisitive and sweet of all our girls. Hope your bird turns out the same!

Back
Top Bottom