Sexing 5 week old RiR and Brown Leghorn.

Gloken- i just replied to your new member thread because I thought your birds look familiar! We got our U of A birds from Peavey Mart during that time. I agree, they grew quickly! Yours are likely from the same hatch and look the same size as ours. We recently bought 5 new pullets ( born early May) that were the same size as our May 23 U of A chicks. We had 2 Barred Rock, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 Brown Leghorn Roos that were re-homed. Ended up with 4 Barred Rock pullets and 1 Sussex pullet. The new pullets are Buff Orpington and Gold laced Wyandotte.
Below are shots of the ones we figured out were Roos...I agree with the people on this thread- looks like you've got Roos there! These pics were from just under two weeks ago. They're not great for comparison but, as they're no longer here, I cant take better ones for you, sorry!
:(

It's been a week, and the leghorns are definitely roosters now. They're getting skinnier and taller, the tail feathers are getting longer, and the combs just keep getting more obvious.
The reds are also probably boys.

I'm probably going to keep them around until they start crowing anyway.

Worst come to worst we'll have a quiet winter, and start again in the spring.

The brown leghorns are incredibly roostery. The RiR less so, but still look pretty roostery to me:

Back
Top Bottom