Sexing 6 week old chicks

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

1 and 6 appear to be cockerels.. with other possible late bloomers that appear female currently.

In barred birds.. the males get double wide white bars compared to the females genetically. I find this to be variable in appearance though throughout the growing period and somewhat debatable or tricky.. perception dependent.. sometimes.. and have had females look slightly lighter than they should.

And yes.. some boys come out of the shell acting like boys in the first day! :eek: Those are some cute lil fellas. :love
I see a bunch of pink on the comb and a little on the face for most of them, I am new to the barred rock breed, does this signify anything or at 6 week is a little pink normal for the comb/ face (see chick 4)
Thanks for the help!

I see a bunch of pink on the comb and a little on the face for most of them, I am new to the barred rock breed, does this signify anything or at 6 week is a little pink normal for the comb/ face (see chick 4)
Thanks for the help!
It is nice to see the whole group together. Girls are darker, like eggcited pointed out. Different breeding makes a difference, too. Some girls you can tell if the feet are dark with barred rocks. A little pink in the face is not as much of a sign as a big red comb and wattles.;) I would guess for sure 2 males, if you separate those boys out any others might start to show their true colors!

Thanks for the help!
Faces can get pink or even flush.. it can come and go with temperature or excitement.

Thing about chick number 4 is that there are zero wattles... wattles pop FIRST in my experience... which is to say I've raised hundreds of boys including Silkies... the boys are always easier to sex than the gals. Despite having what some may consider a huge amount of experience, the truth is that chickens is a non stop learning adventure if you choose to let it be. Which means I do make mistakes and just giving you the best information I can. :cool:

If you look at chick 1, which is clearly boy.. you see the comb still has a lot of yellow.. but look at the size and color of those wattles.

It's true that in SOME lines dark wash legs on barred Rocks used to and still may be a sex linked indicator of gender.. most lines have lost this ability though. :)

Back
Top Bottom