Sexing a 9 week old white silkie named Pearl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mollycoyote, Nov 18, 2012.

1. mollycoyote

mollycoyote Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Northern CA
    Here's my silkie - she's 9+ weeks. Her name is Pearl but I'm not sure she's a female. In the morning she is sort of aggressive - she hops around the cage, hopping AT and ON the other girls! This was my first clue to question her femininity. After some online research, I found out that I should pay attention to the feathers on top of her/his head. If they're very full and round she's female - if they are thin and staggering lengths, he's male.... Maybe it's too soon to tell - but those feathers look male to me. Expert advice anyone?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    It looks male to me, too.

3. Mattlime

Mattlime Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Bostic, North Carolina
    To me it looks like a hen...but you could wait a few more weeks and see if it crows any...it is pretty either way it goes...

4. MegaChickens

MegaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Looks like a male to me

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    the angle of its crest indicates roo biut time will tell

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    That's a beardless silkie. So, watch out for the wattles starting to grow. If they start to grow quite a lot in the next couple of weeks, and then go a mulberry red colour, you have a boy. The comb will also become larger and wider. Beardless pullets also get wattles, but they grow much more slowly, and are smaller than those of the boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by