Sexing a turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by resthavenfarms, Oct 13, 2010.

1. resthavenfarms

resthavenfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    SW Virginia
    I got this turkey several months ago; I think s/he is 7 months almost 8 at this point. S/he does occasionally strut, but it's a pretty rare occurence. The snood is relatively small and the head is pretty pale, mostly. I had some bronze standards and one of them was 2 months younger but almost as big and thick as this one when I sold him. Only pic I've got here is a head shot, taken yesterday. Any ideas or need a full body shot? I haven't had many turkeys and while this one's gonna stay awhile, I'd like to know what it is! It's a red bourbon.[​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Hen!!

3. resthavenfarms

Jun 8, 2010
    SW Virginia
    I think hen. I hope so! But need reassurance. I'm not real certain on how fast turkeys develop their snood and caruncles, I've had a few here and there but don't know nearly as much about them as I do, say, quail! [​IMG]

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Looks like a hen to me.

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, I'm seeing no hair on that head. Could be just the lighting but it also looks like there's a little black lacing at the neck. I'd love a breast shot with a little less light to make sure .

6. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Hen

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I was thinking the same thing Lor, I was looking at the black on the feathers. On BR and Bronze the hens will have white edging on the feathers and the toms will have black.

Steve

8. resthavenfarms

Jun 8, 2010
    SW Virginia
    I've heard the black-laced feather theory, and I've looked this one all over--it's feathers are a uniform color to me, with no lacing that I can see of either color? It was really light when it was younger. There are some hairs on the head that you can't see because it's a crappy picture, but no "feathers". It strutted this morning for about 2 seconds, and it has strutted before but only a few times. No gobbles yet. No beard (when do they start growing beards, anyway?)

9. resthavenfarms

Jun 8, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Here is a picture from around a month-6 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

10. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    If it has a e gene, it won't have any lacing and you can't use it to sex the bird. At 7 to 8 months you can see what sex they are without looking at the lacing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by