Sexing Appenzeller Spitzhauben!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Linkoso, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Linkoso

Linkoso Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    Ok... My appenzellers are now about 7 weeks old... And... I CANT SEX THEM! [​IMG]
    I usually can see what it is in about 4-8 weeks... Sometimes already 2 weeks! But this breed... [​IMG]

Can someone help me, please? [​IMG]

I have heard that the pullets often gets a more fluffier "h├Ątta" (bonnet? or what's it called in english? [​IMG]) then the roos, is that true?

Here is some pictures...

I think these could be pullets?

[​IMG]

And this um... Pullet?

[​IMG]

Or... I dont knoooow! They're all looking the same! [​IMG] No red in the comb or so either... I can't have just pullets? [​IMG] No, i dont want to have just pullets! xD Say that someone is a roo, please! I need a roooooo!

[​IMG]

2. Well, if they're already seven weeks old, and you see no red, then I should think they must all be pullets.. sorry [​IMG]

3. Wow, THOSE are 7 weeks?! My Spitz is fully feathered and is 8 weeks old. I'd wait a bit more. You might just have at least one late blooming cockerel.

4. TrixiePA

TrixiePA Songster

May 1, 2009
    South Central PA
    They look like my Swissy and Missy. LOL. Don't you love them? I think they are the sweetest chicks I have. So far.

Hope you find a rooster.

5. Linkoso

Linkoso Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    I love them! [​IMG] They're so sweet, friendly and curious!

Yeah, they're 6 weeks and 5 days old!

The only thing i dont like... Is that i cant sex them! [​IMG] But if all is the same sex i understand if it's hard... [​IMG]
    Hm, does someone maybe have a pic of a 7-8 weeks old roo so i have something to compare with? [​IMG]

Here is a pic of a bantam cochincross roo in the same age... He got cute red wattles and comb already! But he's not an appenzeller... They're maybe harder to tell the sex on? =/

[​IMG]

6. Anything with a crest is hard to sex. Especially because it's harder to see a comb and combs develop before wattles. I'd find it hard to believe you don't have at least ONE male in there. Those little buggers always manage to wind up in the mix. [​IMG] Regardless of whether or not we want them. And if for some reason you DID wind up with no boys, well, I'd envy you the luck.

Christinecam likes this.
  7. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Spitz's are hard to sex, IMHO. The all look the same, then *poof* one day half of them have red combs and wattles [​IMG]

8. Linkoso

Linkoso Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    Hehe, okey! [​IMG]

Hm, i would'nt be supriset if all of them are pullets... I always got almost ONLY pullets!
    In my first hatch/litter (?) (bad english, lol) for 11 years ago it was 5 pullets and... 0 Roos.

The next year one of this hen went broody and got 12 chicks... 10 pullets and 2 roos!
    Next hen... 7 pullets, 1 roo.

Last year i got 5 roos from 25 chicks... I have never killed a roo, i always succes to sell them beacuse i have so few of them every year. [​IMG]

In this year i have (right now) 6 hens with chicks... In the first hatch it was 1 roo and 2 girls. In the second, 2 roos and 6 girls. In the appenzeller group i can see 2 roos (mixbreed, the black one is one of them)... Then i have a hen with 3 lavendel bantam cochin and i wished that 1 would be a roo... Guess what i got!? 1 roo and 2 girls, haha!

9. Classy Cluckers

Classy Cluckers Hatching

Mar 24, 2013
    I know it's been about 4 years since you posted, but did you ever find a trick to it?

10. kays chicks

kays chicks Songster

Jul 12, 2012
    Derby UK
    hi , ive found this link as i want to know myself i have 6 eggs about to hatch soon , i have bought some pullets so have them to compair them too . hope it helps

http://www.appenzellerspitzhauben.co.uk/standards

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: