Sexing Appenzeller Spitzhauben!?

Linkoso

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Swe.
Ok... My appenzellers are now about 7 weeks old... And... I CANT SEX THEM!
he.gif

I usually can see what it is in about 4-8 weeks... Sometimes already 2 weeks! But this breed...
barnie.gif

Can someone help me, please?
yippiechickie.gif

I have heard that the pullets often gets a more fluffier "hätta" (bonnet? or what's it called in english?
hu.gif
) then the roos, is that true?

Here is some pictures...

I think these could be pullets?

2s60s2b.jpg

And this um... Pullet?

6qlfra.jpg

Or... I dont knoooow! They're all looking the same!
barnie.gif
No red in the comb or so either... I can't have just pullets?
ep.gif
No, i dont want to have just pullets! xD Say that someone is a roo, please! I need a roooooo!

2lsfqfd.jpg

I love them!
big_smile.png
They're so sweet, friendly and curious!

Yeah, they're 6 weeks and 5 days old!

The only thing i dont like... Is that i cant sex them!
roll.png
But if all is the same sex i understand if it's hard...
cool.png

Hm, does someone maybe have a pic of a 7-8 weeks old roo so i have something to compare with?
smile.png

Here is a pic of a bantam cochincross roo in the same age... He got cute red wattles and comb already! But he's not an appenzeller... They're maybe harder to tell the sex on? =/

index.php

Anything with a crest is hard to sex. Especially because it's harder to see a comb and combs develop before wattles. I'd find it hard to believe you don't have at least ONE male in there. Those little buggers always manage to wind up in the mix.
roll.png
Regardless of whether or not we want them. And if for some reason you DID wind up with no boys, well, I'd envy you the luck.

Hehe, okey!
lol.png

Hm, i would'nt be supriset if all of them are pullets... I always got almost ONLY pullets!
In my first hatch/litter (?) (bad english, lol) for 11 years ago it was 5 pullets and... 0 Roos.

The next year one of this hen went broody and got 12 chicks... 10 pullets and 2 roos!
Next hen... 7 pullets, 1 roo.

Last year i got 5 roos from 25 chicks... I have never killed a roo, i always succes to sell them beacuse i have so few of them every year.
lol.png

In this year i have (right now) 6 hens with chicks... In the first hatch it was 1 roo and 2 girls. In the second, 2 roos and 6 girls. In the appenzeller group i can see 2 roos (mixbreed, the black one is one of them)... Then i have a hen with 3 lavendel bantam cochin and i wished that 1 would be a roo... Guess what i got!? 1 roo and 2 girls, haha!

Back
Top Bottom