Sexing Appenzeller Spitzhauben!?

It may just be the light.
The light is definitely not correct. I have a fluorescent light in there, and the entire photo looked way too magenta, so I adjusted the tint and temp to get the feathers looking white. Their legs are kind of gray. But they are hatchery birds, from Cackle.
greta 2-18 (3 of 1).jpg

Anyone find a secret for sexing these babies? I have seven two week old spitzhaubens, and would like to at least be able to guess at gender before I start selling the extras! View attachment 1325061
Hi Jackson! Lovely babies! When they are 6-7 weeks, the boys will begin to show their wattles ....Mine are 8 weeks and 3 out of 5 just started crowing! That's the proof! I'll have to find homes for 2. I hope that's all. There's a poultry swap Sat., but we're expecting 1-3" of snow, so I have to wait a month for the next one.....
There's a thread called Spitzhaubens you might want to check out...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/spitzhaubens.164012/page-74
Sue
This pic is one of the boys at 6 weeks
1st roo.png

Last edited:
3D23D94E-50BC-4D97-A0CC-E6AA0B44F2C4.jpeg
D10B89C6-8842-44BF-AC96-743BB36D752F.jpeg
7E76C468-C731-4E8E-8660-B5544F770B72.jpeg
I know this is an older thread but I was looking for opinions. I have five spitz chicks about 3 weeks old that have been very flighty, but one has become very social with me the last few days. It looks as though it might be developing small light pink wattles. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1733366 View attachment 1733367 View attachment 1733368 I know this is an older thread but I was looking for opinions. I have five spitz chicks about 3 weeks old that have been very flighty, but one has become very social with me the last few days. It looks as though it might be developing small light pink wattles. Any thoughts?
Hi Julia....nice to see more Spitz chicks. They are too young to sex. There is an active Spitzhauben thread, join us with your pics there and we can compare notes....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/spitzhaubens.164012/page-101

Back
Top Bottom