Sexing baby chcks

Bandit23

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
At what age can you tell a hen from a rooster? And how do you tell them apart? I have one that's 20 days (I don't really have enough time to do weeks so I'm doing it in days), one that's 13 days, one that's 10 days, and another that's 5 days. (The huge difference is because my brother forgot to collect the eggs so I just decided to let them hatch so all the eggs were layed and hatched really far apart).

Depends on the breed. Some you can tell at about 3 weeks, some take closer to 20 weeks.

ETA
3 weeks would be 21 days. 3 x 7 = 21.

Last edited:
What breed(s) are your roosters and what breed(s) are your hens? This will play into some of the "tells" you may be able to use at this early point .

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Feel free to post pics in a few more weeks and we can certainly try to give you some ideas on gender.

welcome-byc.gif

Looking forward to seeing your pictures, hope you are having fun with the little ones. They grow and change so fast!

Nice to have you here!

At this very early age the best you will get is guesses. If you want better guesses try waiting till they are 6-8 weeks old ( 42 days to 56 days.) Of course yours are all different ages so that will complicate things unless you know which ones are a certain age.

I do know which ones are which because I was writing it down every time one hatched (more than four did hatch but I only have four left) and the types..... Well I have a bunch of different types of chickens. I have two roosters one has like 2 or 3 daughters and one son the son I know is the father of atleast one of the chicks so that means that chick is a mix of atleast three different chickens and then the others are possibly a mix of 2-4 different chickens so I don't know exactly what is a mix of what I know the one chick is a silky mixed with a Cochin mixed with a barred rock it has a white belly with a spot of white on its head and it's back and wing feathers are black and white it's very pretty like its father. One is all black with the exception of a little white spot on its neck, another looks like a penguin with fuzzy feet and for some reason, that one is the third oldest and it hardly has any of its feathers but the fourth oldest has almost all its wing feathers in. And last but not least, a very pretty little yellow chick with a weird pattern of black spots on it neck that looks like a smiley face..... On it wing feathers that have grown in, I has a beautiful pattern on them and by the way the black one acts and stuff I'm pretty sure that it's a rooster by how he bullies everybody else and I think the penguin looking one might be a rooster too, based on the way he fights back when the black one tries to beat everybody up but they leave the other two alone for some reason so my guess is that those two are hens, but these guesses are just based on their personalities.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures and as I was taking the penguin looking one with fuzzy feet out, he was so heavy and chubby compared to the others I think he might be a Cochin mix because he hated being picked up just like by Cochin rooster and would shut up just like him the only thing about him that isn't anything like my Cochin rooster, other then the only part of him that looks like him is the fuzzy feet, is the fact that he's so mean! Sure, the rooster I think is his father hates being picked up, but he still lets me pick him up he NEVER pecks me or chases me or anything! But who I think is his son is such a bully! He pecks me really hard and chases my hand around the cage as I'm trying to feed them! The mostly black does that too I think if it wasn't for that black one, the penguin would be nice because he didn't bite me until after awhile of watching the black one be a bully! But, oh well here are the pictures the mostly black is the oldest, then the greyish black and white with the white belly, then the penguin with fuzzy feet then the yellowish chick is the youngest and I think the yellow one is a Rhode Island Red that's mixed with a barred rock that was mixed with the Cochin. But that's just a guess

Back
Top Bottom