Sexing baby cochins (standard)

JestersEye

Songster
14 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Mullica Twp., NJ
I recently heard about a way to sex some baby chick breeds by the "layers" of flight feathers they have when they're just starting to feather in. It only works when the chicks are very young, like within a few days old. I even saw a video of someone showing how it's done on YouTube, that was very helpful.

Has anyone had any luck sexing chicks this way, and if so, do you think it would work on my baby cochin chicks?

I've examined my 3-5 day old chicks and I think I do see a difference in their wing feathers. Some chicks are more feathered in than others, but they all have some degree of feather shafts, at least. Using this method, it looks like I have 6 pullets and 6 cockerals. (Talk about right down the middle!) I woulda liked more girls than boys, but oh well... If I can trust this method, it would sure make it easier to sell the extra male chicks before we get too attached and find ourselves overrun with roosters!

Does anyone have any experience with this method?

Last edited:
I am not sure that Cochins can be feather sexed - would be nice if they could be. I just have to wait for a couple weeks and then can usually tell by comb/wattle development.

Someone will set us straight.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom