Sexing Barnevelder chicks

EmilyPosten

Chirping
May 2, 2020
I have six Barnevelder chicks that will be four weeks old this coming Monday. I purchased them from Southern States and was informed that all six should be female. I'm not sure how they were sexed (feather vs vent) and in hindsight, I wish I would have asked. I would like advice/opinions about Ursula. Ursula was the runt of the group with tiny nubs for wings covered by nothing but fluff. Initially she was very shy and sort faded into the background. Last week I noticed that her comb seemed to grow overnight and was larger then the other chicks. In addition to the comb, there was a MAJOR change in personality. My little wallflower is now the first chick to run up to the side of the brooder when I sit down and spends the entire time "eyeballing" me. The one time I played "Peek-a-boo" with her, she inched closer as I popped my head up from the side of the brooder...until the she flew at my face. She does NOT like it when I remove the other chicks and for vent check/outside field trips/hanging out around the house. If she is the first one I take out, she watches me take the others out and will inspect them as soon as I put them down. If she is still in the brooder, she will stretch out her neck trying to see what is going on with the other girls. Vent checks, checking feet, ect...Ursula is there "standing guard" while shooting me an unenthusiastic glare. Is it possible that Ursula is really an Ulrich???

Picture 1: Eating from my husband's hand
Picture 2: Perched
Picture 3: Standing on tip toes to get a treat

Attachments

• 20200528_130559.jpg
    20200528_130559.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 20200528_130637.jpg
    20200528_130637.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200528_130640.jpg
    20200528_130640.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 99
Sweet Ursula might be a little cockerel. I'm not familiar with the breed but that bright pink comb next to the other girls' yellow is suspect. I would consider the behavior with a grain of salt because even if you do have all pullets, one might take the role of protector and do the roo's job despite also being a layer.

Can you have roos in your area? If Ursula is friendly with you and sweet with the girls, she might be an important member of the flock, just not the egg laying kind.

Sweet Ursula might be a little cockerel. I'm not familiar with the breed but that bright pink comb next to the other girls' yellow is suspect. I would consider the behavior with a grain of salt because even if you do have all pullets, one might take the role of protector and do the roo's job despite also being a layer.

Can you have roos in your area? If Ursula is friendly with you and sweet with the girls, she might be an important member of the flock, just not the egg laying kind.

We live in the country and have plenty of acreage for all of the chicks, Ursula/Ulrich included. My husband has become very attached to her and vice versa, so even if she is a he, rehoming would never be an option. 😁

I think your suspicions are correct; looks like a young cockerel in the making to me too.

I forgot to mention the video is from three days ago (now that it is Saturday). Yesterday I noticed red wattles coming in. None of the other chicks have any noticeable wattles at this time. It's crazy!

Back
Top Bottom