Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Quote: Mine did not fit the mold on that method.Both had irregular head spots and had me worried that the sexed pullets I bought would end up being roos.I didn't know about the head spot method until after they were purchased.Fortunately both of them turned out to BR hennys through and through.
celebrate.gif

Love my pretty girls.
love.gif

Mine did not fit the mold on that method.Both had irregular head spots and had me worried that the sexed pullets I bought would end up being roos.I didn't know about the head spot method until after they were purchased.Fortunately both of them turned out to BR hennys through and through.:celebrate
Love my pretty girls.:love

What do you think about the one I posted?

What do you think about the one I posted?
Well I'm no expert by any means,but I guess I will have a go at it.
smile.png
Looks rooish especially when I compare it to my own hennys but the pics are a bit blurry so its really hard to make a judgement.How old are they in this pic?If you posted the age I must have missed it.I've read that BR males are lighter/brighter in coloration than females(more white in the feathers) Can you post some clearer pics?

Miss B,

At 3 months the males will be lighter in color due to more barring than the females. The males combs will be significantly larger and redder than the females. Female combs will get pink but not red until they reach sexual maturity and are near ready to lay eggs.

If you are not seeing any differences, it's very noticeable, then you likely purchased hatchery sexed chicks. Their guaranty of 90% accuracy is extremely conservative. Hatchery sexed pullets are actually more in line of 98% accurate, your chances of a male in purchase of 6 or so chicks is possible but not likely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom