Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Here are my two Barred Rocks. I am pretty sure that the one is a Roo. It is hard to get them both in the same picture but watermelon treats finally helped me get a good picture.

The one in the front has a pretty distinctive comb while the one in the back (nibbling on a hunk of watermelon) seems very yellow colored and not as big. They are both 6-1/2 weeks old. Also the one in the front is a more faded coloring than the one I think is a hen. What do you think? Do I have a Roo and a Hen?

Last edited:
Don't know much about what a roo is, but I see a cockerel in the foreground. Looks to be a pullet in the background. Sorry, but the photos are a bit dark and the shot is a bit too tight in to get the big picture.

At 6 weeks, the hormones of the cockerels produce red wattles and a red comb. The pullets don't show much color change until their hormones kick in much, much later. So, you wanted a breeding pair?
big_smile.png

I thought I was getting all hens, but this one Barred Rock began to Stand out as different. I was told to wait until they were 6 months old to know for sure who was going to be a rooster or a hen. Wasn't planning on a breeding pair, especially since these two are siblings.

He has such a fun personality that I think I will keep him either way.

I thought I was getting all hens, but this one Barred Rock began to Stand out as different. I was told to wait until they were 6 months old to know for sure who was going to be a rooster or a hen. Wasn't planning on a breeding pair, especially since these two are siblings.

He has such a fun personality that I think I will keep him either way.

I'd say one of each. You should not have to wait 6 months to find out for sure though. Mine started their "activities" early, 4 months. One crowed as early as 12 weeks, but then they all started not long after.

Don't know much about what a roo is, but I see a cockerel in the foreground. Looks to be a pullet in the background. Sorry, but the photos are a bit dark and the shot is a bit too tight in to get the big picture.

At 6 weeks, the hormones of the cockerels produce red wattles and a red comb. The pullets don't show much color change until their hormones kick in much, much later. So, you wanted a breeding pair?
big_smile.png

Roo is just short for rooster ;-)

I'd say one of each. You should not have to wait 6 months to find out for sure though. Mine started their "activities" early, 4 months. One crowed as early as 12 weeks, but then they all started not long after.

That would be fine with me. I love the little "guy". He is the one who rounds up the stragglers at night. My Rhode Island Reds are usually the first to go in the coop, but about 5-10 minutes later this little BR (who I am calling Barry) runs around making an urgent sounding call to the last 2 or 3 chicks to get them to go in. About 20-30 minutes after the RIR's go in, the ADOR Automatic door closes. I don't know if the others would make it inside in time if Barry doesn't round them up.

Back
Top Bottom