Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Awesome!! thank you! I just got the same conclusion from 2 others on a different thread. I'm happy. Do you mind if I ask how you can tell? The tail feathers are so different in length.. does that not mean anything?
Their black bars are thick. Females can only have a single copy of the barring gene, giving them the dark appearance. Males get two copies, one from each parent, so they basically have twice as much barring, making them look lighter.

Although this doesn't show the feet, you can see how faint the barring is on the Cuckoo Maran on the right vs more detailed barring on the BR on the left.

Thanks!
smile.png

I checked with the farm I bought them from and he said that the parents appear to be full-bred rocks for all of those chicks but that the sexlinks may be from several generations ago, even though the parents don't look like it. Is this true?

Thanks!
smile.png

I checked with the farm I bought them from and he said that the parents appear to be full-bred rocks for all of those chicks but that the sexlinks may be from several generations ago, even though the parents don't look like it. Is this true?
He's lying. Black sexlinks don't breed true. If his rooster was a black sexlink, instead of 'pure' barred Rock, he would produce chicks that are like yours. 25% of the male chicks would have two barring genes, 75% of both genders would have a single barring gene (no way to sex them till they are older), and 25% of the females would look like black sexlink pullets.
His rooster may be barred, but he isn't pure for the barring gene.

Would love some thoughts on my "hen." I thought she was a pullet, but that comb is coming in so strong! Tiny waddles also...barely pink in color. Any thoughts would be great. She is a couple days shy of 4 weeks.

The one in question is on the bottom of the pic.

Not the greatest pic, but if you had to sex the 3 little barred rocks, what would you guess? 2 weeks old today, and all have considerable black on the legs. Pay no mind to the little EE in the middle lol.

Back
Top Bottom