Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
How about this one folks? Last weeks pic. Her actual comb isn't red yet, but around the nasal cavity is turning red. The other 2 are still yellow. She has no wattles developed yet. This is just shy of 5 weeks.

I was in tsc one day looking at chicks and an elderly fellow was picking out chicks. so i watched him for a while and finally had to ask what he was doing, he kindly said im sexing me some pullets. so i got him to pick me out 4 he said his mother taught him how a long time ago. what he did is gently picked each one up by the neck the hens will go limp but the roos will fight. i got mibe and thanked him , to my surprize i now have 4 new laying br hens. who is to question elderly wisdom not me anymore.

I was in tsc one day looking at chicks and an elderly fellow was picking out chicks. so i watched him for a while and finally had to ask what he was doing, he kindly said im sexing me some pullets. so i got him to pick me out 4 he said his mother taught him how a long time ago. what he did is gently picked each one up by the neck the hens will go limp but the roos will fight. i got mibe and thanked him , to my surprize i now have 4 new laying br hens. who is to question elderly wisdom not me anymore.

We get a post with this old wives tale about everyday. There's no factual basis for it and picking up chicks like that? I've no comment as upon the cruel aspect of dong so.

Sexing Barred Rocks is 90% accurate the first week by a trained reading of the head spot. Sexing Barred Rocks is also 90% accurate at 6 weeks to the trained eye, by examining secondary sex characteristics. Sexing is 100% accurate at 22 weeks when they either crow or lay eggs. (34 weeks for heritage Barred Rocks)

Last edited:
Mr. Cluckers was about 4 months old before he started crowing. At first it sounded right pitiful and we teased him about his weak man voice - but then he got us back by crowing ALL THE TIME!!! Not just 1st thing in the morning, but all freakin' day! Eventually he went out to my folks land.....and then sadly was eaten (along with his girlfriend Amelia) by a coyote. Thats him in my profile pic. beautiful bird and fairly even tempered.....just the crowing was too much.

I looked through all the pages on this thread an couldn't find anything.....so I'll ask ~ does bum feather colours play a role in gender distinction or is that just an individual characteristic?

I ask because of the 2 BR's I got today (they're only a day old) they both look exactly alike. White dot on head, fairly dark feather colours, little bit of black on the legs but def not all the way down to the toes. However one has a fluffy grey bum and the other a fluffy light bum. (The grey bum I'm fretting will be a roo....just from stance)

Back
Top Bottom