sexing barred rocks

RachCivi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
I picked up a straight run of 6 Plymouth Barred Rocks at TSC and I need a little help sexing the batch.
Questioning the two in the middle of pic #1

They are only about 4-5 weeks. no crowing, hackle, sickel or saddle feathers yet.

Obvious Cockerel and I have another, not pictured, that I am sure is as well.

We plan to keep one of the roosters, just wondering which ones I should be looking at?
Thank you!!!

The bird with the white breast is off. Since it is thought that hatcheries have routinely bred white birds into their Barred Rocks, to increase laying, it would seem one bird is telling the story.

The cockerels are easy to spot at this age. They are the ones with the big red combs and wattles. The pullets show no wattles and combs remain dull yellow.

Thank You Fred's Hens! I've read many posts from you on the forum and your flock of Barred Rocks are stunning! I can defiantly see a difference between hatchery quality vs breeder quality after looking at your pictures. You've inspired me to visit the Poultry Show in Columbus, Ohio this year and I'm looking forward to it!

Thank You Fred's Hens! I've read many posts from you on the forum and your flock of Barred Rocks are stunning! I can defiantly see a difference between hatchery quality vs breeder quality after looking at your pictures. You've inspired me to visit the Poultry Show in Columbus, Ohio this year and I'm looking forward to it!
Very kind of you to say. I hope you do get to go to Columbus. It's the Big Top, the largest show, by far. HUGE.
If you're close enough to one of us, it'd be fun to get you a trio of good birds.
I pass back and forth, through the Buckeye State a few times a year. I'm usually carrying birds one way or the other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom