Sexing budgies

@ muddy

They are both males. They may be mounting but it is only playful at this young age. Please consider a cage upgrade. Your cage is very small.

This is what i use.

0217201321.jpg

I thought brownish pink ceres meant female?

Females will never have pink at any age.

All males start out with pink ceres and all females start out with white or very pale blue.

Most male Ceres turn purple and then royal blue by 5 months old. Lutino, albino, and recessive pied mutations stay pink as adults.

Female ceres turn tan and then cocoa brown in breeding condition but will often turn pale white or very light blue after a few months until the next hormonal period.

@ muddy

They are both males. They may be mounting but it is only playful at this young age. Please consider a cage upgrade. Your cage is very small.

This is what i use.

View attachment 2033043
this cage is only temporary.....i’m really hoping they can go into the aviary, but haven’t gotten an answer yet as to whether they could escape 1” netting (separate thread)......i had a feeling that they were both males after researching......guess I have to decide on new names now:lau

this cage is only temporary.....i’m really hoping they can go into the aviary, but haven’t gotten an answer yet as to whether they could escape 1” netting (separate thread)......

One inch will allow escape or catch them by the neck. Half inch bar spacing or less for budgies.

One inch will allow escape or catch them by the neck. Half inch bar spacing or less for budgies.
i couldn’t find anything smaller than 1” for large aviary.....guess i will have to re-evaluate and possible do smaller on indoor “shed” aviary and possibly make an outdoor extension for the budgies

Females will never have pink at any age.

All males start out with pink ceres and all females start out with white or very pale blue.

Most male Ceres turn purple and then royal blue by 5 months old. Lutino, albino, and recessive pied mutations stay pink as adults.

Female ceres turn tan and then cocoa brown in breeding condition but will often turn pale white or very light blue after a few months until the next hormonal period.
This makes sense. I must have gotten mixed up. I had 2 budgies a couple years ago but that was my only experience with them. Thanks for clarifying 👍

My partner, who once ran a pet store says it this way: "Male birds will bite you and then let go. And then if you're still holding them, bite you again, but let go again. Female birds will BITE and try to make their beaks go clear through your flesh and meet in the middle and NOT let go, glaring at you with murderous intent, like they're thinking, "I'm going to KILL YOU!!"

My partner, who once ran a pet store says it this way: "Male birds will bite you and then let go. And then if you're still holding them, bite you again, but let go again. Female birds will BITE and try to make their beaks go clear through your flesh and meet in the middle and NOT let go, glaring at you with murderous intent, like they're thinking, "I'm going to KILL YOU!!"
thats not true ive had males not let go before

Back
Top Bottom