Sexing Buff Orpingtons

Is this a Roo or hen?

I found a way to sex kind of fun but works 100% reliable! lol
You rely on a nice rooster like my sweet silkie, and put next to the chicks and to the girls he will "dance" and to the roos he will pick on their heads like "I dont like you". lol

So the littles that feather out first with tail feathers are boys or girls? I have 1 out of 8 that has tail feathers, thicker feet/legs and more wing feathers. They are only a week and a few days old...

Last edited:
I have 8 Orpington chicks that are almost 3 weeks old & had one that feathered in much faster than the others. I thought I had 7 boys & 1 girl but now the feathered one has suddenly grown a big pink comb. :-( So much for that theory! Now I am just praying I get 1 pullet in the bunch!

I have 3 babies that are 1.5 weeks old. 2 have longer wings and tails and the other is just fluffy. I was thinking 2 boys and 1 girl, but I don't know. Here's a pic with mom.

And another of the 2 with longer feathers.

Last edited:
The one on the bottom right looks like a boy to me because of the way he is standing. I think they are too young to tell though. Mine are 3 weeks now & I am still holding on to hope that one of them is a pullet. :)

Back
Top Bottom