Sexing button quails

Magapoule

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
Canada, Quebec
Hi all!
So I have 7 5 weeks old button quails and need help on sexing 2 (well 3, but one is white so I know there is no way I can sex him for now)
One is tuxedo the other one....no idea
The tuxedo has no red feathers around the vent, and the other one seems to have the beginning of a bib? I have no idea of his color so I don’t know if females can have it too in that color...Also he is way smaller than the other one because since he is born he does not grow fast, that’s why he is in a different cage with a friend
Any help is appreciated 😁

Attachments

• B320BDEB-676A-4135-9DDA-EEEF9685747D.jpeg
    B320BDEB-676A-4135-9DDA-EEEF9685747D.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 7CB5FF55-8D0E-401F-BFAE-565F3EE2BD70.jpeg
    7CB5FF55-8D0E-401F-BFAE-565F3EE2BD70.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 26
Looks like your Tuxedo has some feathers on their underside that may 'rust up' but I could be seeing it wrong, best bet is waiting until it's older in my opinion! :D the other speckled one however appears to be feathering in like a female, looks like she may have some white/pied genes which can cause bibs occasionally :)

Hi all!
So I have 7 5 weeks old button quails and need help on sexing 2 (well 3, but one is white so I know there is no way I can sex him for now)
One is tuxedo the other one....no idea
The tuxedo has no red feathers around the vent, and the other one seems to have the beginning of a bib? I have no idea of his color so I don’t know if females can have it too in that color...Also he is way smaller than the other one because since he is born he does not grow fast, that’s why he is in a different cage with a friend
Any help is appreciated 😁
Not sure quite yet but they’re really cute! 🥰
Also I love your profile picture! It’s a barny right? (Barnevelder) I have one that looks exactly like it. 😆

This was the most recent thread I could find on sexing button quail, so I figured I'd post here. I think I have two boys and two girls. Am I right?

I think the first two are boys and the second two are girls.
View attachment 2417705View attachment 2417706View attachment 2417707View attachment 2417708View attachment 2417709
Red near vent is a male genetic factor in buttons so i think 1and 2 are boys , i wanna say #2 is a cinnamon tux with blue genetic tossed in since its dominant, the first i wanna say double blue factor playing some work there to mess up the bib but idk, and snowie, annnd #3 maybe a cinnamon pied tux (maybe kinda splash added too) no idea on last two sex sorry 😐

Red near vent is a male genetic factor in buttons so i think 1and 2 are boys , i wanna say #2 is a cinnamon tux with blue genetic tossed in since its dominant, the first i wanna say double blue factor playing some work there to mess up the bib but idk, and snowie, annnd #3 maybe a cinnamon pied tux (maybe kinda splash added too) no idea on last two sex sorry 😐
It seems like everyone including me are sure the first two are boys. The fourth one has a couple of votes for female in addition to mine. Number three is the uncertain one.

It seems like everyone including me are sure the first two are boys. The fourth one has a couple of votes for female in addition to mine. Number three is the uncertain one.
I wanna say female cuz of her size looks like she hit the 4"inch max easy and with bulk (not 100% sure watch for behavior :thumbsup)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom