sexing chickens

pamalamba

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
I can't find any pictures in how this is done or what I am supposed to be looking for in the cocks or pullets. Can any one tell me where I can find clear pictures on this?
lol.png
big_smile.png
D.gif

Most of the hatcheries vent sex their chicks unless they are sexlinked . I just wait for them to grow up and then there is no guessing. If you're wanting to sell just sell them as straight run.

I've been told to look at the heads and feet. male chicks have slightly squarer heads and bigger feet. Once the feathers start appearing, roosters tend to have more pointy feathers on their body

It depends on the age and how you want to sex them. A lot of people do feather sexing on the young chicks. There are some pics at this site- http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/index.htm . Vent sexing is also done by experienced people at the hatcheries.
As the get older there are differences that develop for males/females of the same age, typically males get larger combs and wattles faster, but not always. Some say the best way is when they lay an egg or don't.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom