7 Years
Aug 13, 2012
How do you tell the sex of day old chickens without being an expert
Cheers,
Maddy xox
D.gif
I love this gif <3 lolq1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawe34 vd

Maddy,
If you have a needdle put it on a piece of string and put it over the top of the chickens and if it spins in a circle their girls and if it moves back and forth its a boy

Some breeds (like barred rocks) can be sexed at a couple days old by examining the feathers coming in on the tips of the wings. If the feather shafts are the same length (look like fingers) it is a male. If the feather shafts are staggered it is a female. Not all breeds can be sexed this way and most mixed breed cannot be either.

Ok, I am going to admit my stupidity here in order to hopefully help others. Please be kind, my husband has already laughed heartily at me!
lau.gif
th.gif

Ok, I just had another batch of eggs hatch, and decided I HAD to learn how to vent sex. I took my time, relaxed, and took my first chick. Once again, I saw the spot that looked all dried up, like it wasn't going to open, so I looked and saw another spot....just under the tail ... OMG, I was trying to vent sex through the belly button!
ep.gif

Ok, so you all don't think I've been torchering my chicks, I never tried very hard to open the belly button, just massaged it and noticed it wasn't about to open in any way (this is after I even expelled the feces!) Geepers I'm stupid!
he.gif
I was nervous in my defense! Anyways.... Today I did it. I have, so far, 2 cockerels and 5 pullets. Not wrong on the cockerels, but could be wrong on the pullets.

I have 2 more chicks to hatch/check. I'm not fast like on youtube, but I think I was gentle. They don't like it, but they seemed just fine afterwards. BTW, you will need a magnifying glass unless you have exceptionally good close up vision, this is tiny! ( white leghorns )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom