1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maddy Mitchell, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Maddy Mitchell

Maddy Mitchell New Egg

Aug 13, 2012
    How do you tell the sex of day old chickens without being an expert
    Cheers,
    Maddy xox[​IMG] I love this gif <3 lolq1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawe34 vd

2. Amba15

Amba15 New Egg

Aug 22, 2012
    Boorowa
    Maddy,
    If you have a needdle put it on a piece of string and put it over the top of the chickens and if it spins in a circle their girls and if it moves back and forth its a boy

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless they are bred to be sex linked via color or feather growth rate, the only way to do it is by examening the inverted vent, which I learned today, I don't have the guts to do, lol

5. Maddy Mitchell

Maddy Mitchell New Egg

Aug 13, 2012
    lol Amba u crack me up xox why arent u at school today??? kisses
    GRRRRRRR[​IMG]GRRRRRRRRRR

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Some breeds (like barred rocks) can be sexed at a couple days old by examining the feathers coming in on the tips of the wings. If the feather shafts are the same length (look like fingers) it is a male. If the feather shafts are staggered it is a female. Not all breeds can be sexed this way and most mixed breed cannot be either.

7. bcboy

bcboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    At 3:33 they show you how.

8. cluck-cluck

Ok, I am going to admit my stupidity here in order to hopefully help others. Please be kind, my husband has already laughed heartily at me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, I just had another batch of eggs hatch, and decided I HAD to learn how to vent sex. I took my time, relaxed, and took my first chick. Once again, I saw the spot that looked all dried up, like it wasn't going to open, so I looked and saw another spot....just under the tail ... OMG, I was trying to vent sex through the belly button! [​IMG]

Ok, so you all don't think I've been torchering my chicks, I never tried very hard to open the belly button, just massaged it and noticed it wasn't about to open in any way (this is after I even expelled the feces!) Geepers I'm stupid! [​IMG] I was nervous in my defense! Anyways.... Today I did it. I have, so far, 2 cockerels and 5 pullets. Not wrong on the cockerels, but could be wrong on the pullets.

I have 2 more chicks to hatch/check. I'm not fast like on youtube, but I think I was gentle. They don't like it, but they seemed just fine afterwards. BTW, you will need a magnifying glass unless you have exceptionally good close up vision, this is tiny! ( white leghorns )

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. cluck-cluck

Update, I think I missed one. The three I marked as males, seem to be males, but another one that I thought was a female is a male, I'm pretty sure. leghorns really develop their combs fast :)

10. nututhis

nututhis New Egg

May 25, 2014
    Pretty good accuracy rate. Way to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by