1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poupoule, Dec 16, 2008.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I have a dozen of chick since a couple of weeks. They all have different sizes, so guess they have different ages. Could anybody tell me how to sex them?[​IMG]
    Would it be easier with a photo?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Photos!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, a photo would help !! what breed are they ?

4. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I'll try to take some photos in the next few days. Do the breeds grow at differently? The chicks are Rhode Island, Sussex(Ithink, there may be a mix breed there) and Australorp.
    They seems to all be at different ages, as some are big and others are small. I've had them for 3 weeks now, but don't know how old they are. [​IMG]

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have noticed that my white and brown leghorns grew faster than my rhode island reds.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think some do !! I have noticed that my BR's always look more grown up than my EE's

7. Chick p

Chick p New Egg

Dec 18, 2008
    Quote:With quail you feel their bums. if they have a bubble like tail then they'll be males. if they don't have bubbles their females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by