Sexing Chicks

The blue egg gene is not tied to color, pattern, muffs, tuffs, or leg color. EE's can be any color or pattern, do not have to have either muffs or tufts, and can have any color leg. Ameraucanas and Araucanas have standards and requirements, but EE's don't. Many hatcheries base their EE's on Ameraucanas, so it is a common perception that EE's should have Ameraucana traits, but they really don't have to. The EE I had laid a nice green egg, was solid red in color, had no muffs or tufts, and had yellow legs. The comb was even a wonky combinbation of pea and single.
You really won't be able to tell if any of those are EE's or not until they lay eggs.
You are correct, I probably should have thought about that. I based my comment on the fact that the majority of (pretty much all) hatchery Easter Egger chicks (I am assuming they are hatchery, but I could easily be wrong) that I have personally seen are chipmuky-colored while these are yellow and closely resemble New Hampshires. I have just noticed a little striped-ness on the heads of those chicks, though, which New Hampshires (as far as I know) generally do not have, so they could be Easter Eggers yet!

You are correct, I probably should have thought about that. I based my comment on the fact that the majority of (pretty much all) hatchery Easter Egger chicks (I am assuming they are hatchery, but I could easily be wrong) that I have personally seen are chipmuky-colored while these are yellow and closely resemble New Hampshires. I have just noticed a little striped-ness on the heads of those chicks, though, which New Hampshires (as far as I know) generally do not have, so they could be Easter Eggers yet!
I have two yellow hatchery EE chicks from parent stock of McMurray...
_MG_4960.jpg

Last edited:
3 days after they hatch, spread their wings and look at the 2 rows of "finger" feathers. if they are close together(looking like 1 row) they are a cockerel. If they are far a part(looking like 2 rows) its a pullet.

There is a little girl on youtube that explains it well. search "sexing chicks" on youtube

Last edited:
The EE are from a EE hen and Buff Orp Roo. I saw both when I bought them, and say the green eggs that the hen was laying, too. Hard to tell in these pics, sorry!

The EE are from a EE hen and Buff Orp Roo. I saw both when I bought them, and say the green eggs that the hen was laying, too. Hard to tell in these pics, sorry!
Ahh, that makes sense.
I've heard of Boxleyjoe's method and that it is accurate (never tried it myself), but it would not work on your chicks at the age...
Aoxa, that chick is adorable!

Where did you get them? Those don't look like EEs. No fuzzy faces, green/slate legs (that I can see), and just standard "chipmunk"-y color. Could easily be game birds. I don't see any gender characteristics OR months-old birds...

Pictures of each chick's comb and legs, as well as a top picture and side picture of each would be very helpful with gender distinction.

Agree (ps:sorry about not posting that link, I lost it...)

Back
Top Bottom