Sexing Cochins

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
Hi all,

I am the proud new mommie of 4 rambunctious and silly Golden Comets, and one adorable pajama-footed barred Cochin. Whereas I knew the gender of my comets for obvious reason, I am really crossing my fingers on the Cochin (I live in the suburbs and couldn't possibly keep a rooster). I have heard a little about sexing chicks by length of wing feathers, and was wondering if that applied to Cochins or just special crosses.

So far my Cochin is developing feathers at multiple lengths at the exact same rate as my pullets. Hopefully thats a good sign. Please help!

i got some std cochins at this one spot... they were 4 week olds... took home 8, two roo's and 6 hens... now, it looks like i have 2 for sure pullets, one maybe, and the rest roo's...
sad.png

i don't think you can feather sex them... they will show right away usually... roo's have bright red crest/wattles and pullets have a super small pink crest...

Feathers unreliable.

I agree with Gumbii, watch the comb.
You should know for sure by 3 weeks.
You can probably post a photo at 1.5-2 weeks and the experts in the Gender/Sex forum could make educated guesses.

Thanks a bunch! The little dude/dudette is only 9 days old, so I'll wait a few more days and post pics. His/her little barred wings are so cute! I'd be devistated to have to give my little Soot away.

Back
Top Bottom