Sexing Coturnix chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hiya, these little ones are 2 weeks old now but feathering really fast. I usually wait at least a few more weeks before attempting to sex but I have a lady desperate to have her new babies so just wondered if any of you had any thoughts on their sex.
Number 1
60647_020.jpg

Number 2
60647_021.jpg

Number 3
60647_022.jpg

Number 4
60647_023.jpg

Number 5
60647_024.jpg

The last 2 are ranges, you can't tell them by their colors. The middle one (right above the ranges) looks like a boy, he's getting the rust color to his breast feathers. I think the first 2 are too young to tell, they don't have many breast feathers yet.

The one you mentioned is a lot bigger than the others if that makes a difference. How would I tell with the ranges? It's the first time we've had those ones so not too familiar with them.

Quote:
You have to vent or beer sex them
big_smile.png

I'm with Shelly, the first 2 are way to young to color sex. The 3rd one is a bit young for me to properly sex , but is most likely a roo. The last 2 are vent/beer sexing candidates.

1. female
2.female
3.male
4. male
5. female

The older ranger could be sex by color, unless some ot the new colors have been added to them.

think you will find i am right on 4 of the 5 at least, but I never sell sexed birds unless 100 % sure.

Like to see those 5 in 3 more weeks.

Quote:
Ok...you are at least 50% correct
big_smile.png

I'm going to say::::
1.male
2.male
3. female
4.female
5.male

We may both have the same odds of accuracy.

My question to you is...How can you color sex a white/rosetta breasted bird by a simple pic..?

those are little young , but the old british range sex like the other , i sex them by the throat feather , breast feather little harder on the range, plus i never had rossetta. Pics can make it hard to sex with the lighting sometime.

Sure i will get more right on the sex than you did.......mine was not just guessing

Quote:
I just flipped what ever you guessed. Simple math would make us even on the guess.
wink.png

I agree that trying to sex birds from pics is difficult. 1-3 are way to early to tell for me. 4-5 are white breasted/range/rosetta which are the same thing mostly and defy color sexing in most crowds.

I think I see 3 roos and 2 non color sex able birds. Would like to see what happens in 3 weeks, but even after 30 weeks, I couldn't color sex #4 and #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom