Sexing Coturnix Quails

Hehehehehehehe!

Glad you're enjoying it, haha. 😂
Also glad you've gotten some helpful info mixed in with all of us savages in the peanut gallery.
Hahaha yeah, it’s been fun to read! I’m still a bit unsure since there is some conflicting information but I think I might just try to separate them and just hope for eggs from the maybe dudes/gals lol.

Ahh that’s what I’ve been hoping. Most of this thread feels they are all boys though. I’ve been unsure because of someone’s post about the facial markings.
I have an Italian male with the striped markings. Feathering isn't a precise measure. Truth is, you won't know for sure until they crow and try to mount all moving objects.

I have an Italian male with the striped markings. Feathering isn't a precise measure. Truth is, you won't know for sure until they crow and try to mount all moving objects.
LOL! That’s so true! 🤣
I tried separating a few but the only one that has crowed was the male I was sure about. I’m keeping an eye on them.

#4 and #5 look male to me. The other two (#1 and #2) I'm not sure of.

Update: after looking at the facial markings, I'm going to have to say ALL MALE. (This is from the first post on quail hatch-along thread.)
View attachment 2582327

The mask isn't a 100% sign of an Italian male. There are lines, where the roo also has a striped mask.

image (1).jpg

Ahh that’s what I’ve been hoping. Most of this thread feels they are all boys though. I’ve been unsure because of someone’s post about the facial markings.
I have raised coturnix quail before and my hens have always been that color. The hen have more yellowish white in their face and the roosters have more reddish brown in their faces.

I have raised coturnix quail before and my hens have always been that color. The hen have more yellowish white in their face and the roosters have more reddish brown in their faces.

Just because you haven't experienced different, does not mean, it doesn't exist otherwise ... .

Italian males with no red mask are uncommon, but they are existing.

Back
Top Bottom