sexing day old chicks

I am not sure of any breeds other than sex links that can be sexed that young. What breeds are they? Can you post pics? The people on this forum are awesome and will do everything they can to help you. Im a newbie so Im not too much help but I just wanted to wish you luck and crossing my fingers they are the breed & sex you want
smile.png

**edited** I think with some like BO's the roo's are shinier than the pullets, with barred rocks the boys are either darker or lighter (sorry Im not much help) and there is one breed that the boys have a dot on their heads or have what looks like racoon glasses or something. If you know the breed & have pics Im sure someone will be able to help, or if you are planning to buy a certain breed someone should be able to steer you in the right direction
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have had very good results by doing this. A soon as a chick has dried and is ready to be placed in the brooder look at their wings, spread it out so you can see the quills, if they are in a long-short-long-short pattern it is a pullet, if all the quills are the same length it is a rooster! This can only be done the day the chick is born, you can't sex them once the feathers start to grow. Hope that helps!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom