Sexing Easter eggers, how?

carrie2017

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Virginia
I have read now that you can sex Easter eggers by color I'm confused on how, mine are a bit young so I don't expect to sex them yet but I'm curious if someone can simply explain to me how to do this so I know what to look for in the next few weeks. Pictures of mine (the first chick got in the second picture as well) so maybe you can tell me what exactly to keep an eye on with mine. I'm new to all this so be patient with me if I ask silly questions haha. My black Easter egger and silkies I think will just be wait it out awhile longer.

Attachments

• 20220521_091129.jpg
    20220521_091129.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220521_091044.jpg
    20220521_091044.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220521_090908.jpg
    20220521_090908.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220521_090626.jpg
    20220521_090626.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 45
EEs can sometimes be wing-sexed soon after hatching, say, within three days. The females have two rows of alternating lengths of weathers while males have one row of even lengths. Yours are too old now to wing sex.

EEs can sometimes be wing-sexed soon after hatching, say, within three days. The females have two rows of alternating lengths of weathers while males have one row of even lengths. Yours are too old now to wing sex.
Thank you for the information that's a helpful thing to know if/or when I get more Easter eggers.

Most easter egger roosters will have a larger redder comb. But the will also have reddish brown feathers on their upper wing. I think.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've read several threads showing color differences between EE cockerels and pullets, but I'm so new with this breed. I have 2 supposed pullets that I picked up earlier this week. One fits the female coloring (so far, anyway), bit the other has red coming in. So I'm like, cockerel. However, she seems to just be redder over all. And they're only a few weeks old. And they're 2 of 3 EEs I just got (the other is fibro, so no red at all).

I'm hoping to figure it out, too. I haven't had great luck buying pullets from feed stores.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've read several threads showing color differences between EE cockerels and pullets, but I'm so new with this breed. I have 2 supposed pullets that I picked up earlier this week. One fits the female coloring (so far, anyway), bit the other has red coming in. So I'm like, cockerel. However, she seems to just be redder over all. And they're only a few weeks old. And they're 2 of 3 EEs I just got (the other is fibro, so no red at all).

I'm hoping to figure it out, too. I haven't had great luck buying pullets from feed stores.
I am new to chickens all together. I'm slowly learning and just reading lots of others threads on here to is helpful to me. Even with the other threads and googling I'm still a bit lost on the whole color thing. I don't mind waiting to find out as they get older. I'm just curious and excited to learn about my chicks. I got my chicks, well all except my silkies, from our local Royal King and quickly found out their chicks are not labeled right at all that's fine just fingers crossed for mostly pullets.

I have read now that you can sex Easter eggers by color I'm confused on how, mine are a bit young so I don't expect to sex them yet but I'm curious if someone can simply explain to me how to do this so I know what to look for in the next few weeks.

There are some colors/patterns that only exist on female chickens.
There are some colors/patterns that only exist on male chickens.
If one of those colors/patterns shows up on an Easter Egger, the sex is obvious.

For example, look at photos of Black Breasted Red chickens. The males have a black breast and a particular pattern of red, gold, and black. The females have a salmon breast and a different pattern of black and brown.

There are a few other sex-specific colors and patterns too, but I don't know them all.

There are some colors/patterns that only exist on female chickens.
There are some colors/patterns that only exist on male chickens.
If one of those colors/patterns shows up on an Easter Egger, the sex is obvious.

For example, look at photos of Black Breasted Red chickens. The males have a black breast and a particular pattern of red, gold, and black. The females have a salmon breast and a different pattern of black and brown.

There are a few other sex-specific colors and patterns too, but I don't know them all.
Thank you for the information. I will definitely look that up.

So this one's feathers are coming in awfully red. Idk if this indicates anything, really.

Sorry for bad pics. Hard to hold these squirming babies with one hand.
20220529_175841.jpg

And the comb, of course, shows pretty much nothing @ 4 weeks.
20220529_175904.jpg

I'm probably overthinking, but I'm 50/50 with feed store pullets this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom