Sexing eggs!

SC, can I ask you how much folks pay you for a rooster, and what size it is when you sell it?

I just loaded the incubator again this afternoon. Came back in this evening with 3 more eggs... one of which is a perfectly shaped oh so round, not even a little bit pointy, little pink Dom egg. Sex-linked chicklet-to-be within. Immediate gratification for the egg shape/chick gender theory. So, I stuck it in, precariously perched on top of the neatly lined up rows of eggs.

Last edited:
SC, can I ask you how much folks pay you for a rooster, and what size it is when you sell it?

I just loaded the incubator again this afternoon. Came back in this evening with 3 more eggs... one of which is a perfectly shaped oh so round, not even a little bit pointy, little pink Dom egg. Sex-linked chicklet-to-be within. Immediate gratification for the egg shape/chick gender theory. So, I stuck it in, precariously perched on top of the neatly lined up rows of eggs.
xs 2 I have a hard time just giving away roos!

Brilliant! I am excited to see this one too
jumpy.gif

xs 2 I have a hard time just giving away roos!
I can sex the cuckoo marans cockerels early, because they are so much lighter. I have been selling the 5 for $20 at six weeks. If I grow them out to 4-5 months, I can get $25 for three. I just tried to price them similar to a Tyson chicken at Publix
big_smile.png

I wasn't sure if I could sell them or not the first time, so I put them on CL at group prices. Within a week I had sold 12, and these are customers that will buy again. My most dependable customers for any kind of chicken, from started pullets to grown roosters, are Mexican. They really appreciate purebred, healthy birds, and have no qualms at all about buying a cage full of roosters. I work construction, so I have learned a little Spanish, and that helps a lot to keep them coming back

Last edited:
I first heard of this way of sexing chicks while in the egg 60 years ago. After 6 decades with chickens I can report that a "normal" shaped hen egg has a reasonable chance of hatching into a chicken while double pointed and other odd shaped eggs have a high likelihood of dying before incubation is complete if they live that long.

If this method worked, commercial hatcheries would use it to sex their chicks before the eggs were even set, saving millions in labor, energy, and incubator space. Instead these commercial hatcheries pay each of dozens of Japanese guest workers $250,000 a year to sex already hatched chicks.

Last edited:
I found that with my last incubation, the large eggs did not fare well. Very disappointing, b/c some of my gals only lay very large eggs. I'm not so sure if it was strictly related to egg size, or may have been related to the fact that all of the large eggs were on one side of the bator, and the temp may have been off on that side.

Back
Top Bottom