Sexing eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KirstieJG, Apr 14, 2015.

1. KirstieJG

KirstieJG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Only egg A in the diagram would be considered a roo. have you a photo of the eggs you are setting? That may be the easiest way to determine this? Although it really isnt difficult.

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Ok, I'll be serious for a minute. These are the eggs I have cooking right now, cuckoo marans. Obviously they are set pointy end down, but from what I see when gathering the eggs, the smaller, lighter ones would have a more pointy top. The large and jumbos will be more round, so my guess from this picture would be 11 pointy and 13 round. I will be locking down Friday and hatching Mon-Tuesday. I'm pretty good at guessing my cuckoos on day 1 from downy feathers, but I am not going to section off the incubator. I have almost a 50/50 split of pointy to round, and I'm expecting a 50/50 split of boys to girls, so depending what side of the fence you are on I will either prove the theory, or disprove it. The pointy polish eggs will be set next week

Edit: The experiment I want to see is the one that tells me which eggs are fertile, short of trap nesting the girls with the bare backs

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  3. KirstieJG

KirstieJG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Oh dear, well I guess a 50/50 split is what anyone would expect in any situation regardless of pointy or non-pointy eggs. We wont know if the girls are hatching half from pointy eggs and half from more even eggs or if all of them are from the even eggs!

I have eight more eggs to put into the incubator today and i will photograph them with numbers. I can split my brooder in two so I will separate them as they hatch and put them into the corresponding brooder side.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I seldom get a 50-50 hatch. I once added up all my hatches, incubator and broody, over a two year period and it came out 50-50, but individual hatches can be way off.

For example, last year an incubator hatch produced 14 pullets and 7 cockerels. The incubator was running a tad warm by the way. They hatched a full day early. One broody hatch produced 9 pullets and three cockerels. My next broody hatch produced 3 cockerels and 1 pullet.

Odds wise, at least 3 and more likely 4 of those14 pullets should have laid green eggs. Only 1 did. Of the nine pullets, that should have been a 50-50 split for green eggs, 4 or 5. Eight laid green eggs.

You really need a significant number before the odds mean anything. For this experiment it needs many different people hatching in different incubators or with broodies from different flocks, setting pointy and rounded eggs.

Have fun.

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] let me have the same outcome, mine were almost all hatched a day + early...lol My last hatch I had 7/12 roos...lol

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    My best hatch, sex wise, this year was 10/12 hens. Highest roosters were 7/12. I'm only counting the cuckoo marans because I can sex them so soon, the others I sell straight run.

1 person likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    You do better with your gender ratio than I do. First year: 3 roo, 2 pullet. Second year: at least 60% roo. This year, it will be interesting. All the chicks from the first set will either stay with me or have gone to a friend. So it will be easy to keep tabs on them. I just set my second batch this afternoon. There are 8 sex linked eggs in that batch. And, I held the pointyest (is that a new word?) ones out of the bator. Interestingly, the BSL gals I hatched last year each had one very light colored toe on otherwise black feet. I can tell which babies came from all of those gals! One light toe on each foot!

1 person likes this.
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

I raise them mainly for meat so I would have been extremely happy if my sex ratio had been reversed.

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I couldn't eat an animal I raised. I don't think I could eat an animal I met....lol My sister is supposed to take any roos I can't place, but she's not allowed to tell me their fate...lol

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Every time I get ready to process my first, someone comes along and buys the extra roos. One day I'm going to do it, but as long as they are paying for feed I'm going to keep selling them
    Edit: I even named one from the last batch Smokey, but someone bought him Saturday

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by