sexing for real

SueZoo

Chirping
Aug 22, 2017
N. Cali
I know that people like to post pictures of young birds for other members to guess gender... just want to clarify though- for newbies, especially-- that with certain popular breeds, ie, silkie and polish, the answers will be just that- a guess. I see so many posts about silkie chicks that are 8 -10 weeks or younger that get comments such as " that's a cockerel, it has streamers" or things of that nature. I don't care how experienced someone may be, it just isn't possible to positively tell the sex of all young chicks visually.. Here's a good example... in this pic, the cuckoo silkie chick on left would look to many like a cockerel because of feathering on head. The chick on right looks like a pullet for same reason. In fact, tho, the cuckoo is female, the other is male- per DNA test results which are 99.9% accurate.
It can be fun to guess at gender, and that's fine! I just wanted to remind folks to not take the guessing game too seriously. And for the times it is vital to know gender now rather than later, don't forget, DNA testing is easy and fast. a couple of drops of blood from a clipped toenail is all that's required ,sample wise- and the lab I use charges only $11. 99 per test. Results are available within a few days. They have a coop website with tons of info on DNA testing and other available diagnostics- check them out! Just enter
"IQ Birdtesting" under search to find the website for IQ Technologies.
IMG_18-10-18_16-37-18.jpg

Last edited:
Via crest, I guessed the white was male (crest feathers pointing slightly forwards. I didn't look at the cuckoo.) And it's harder to sex silkies than it is any other chicken, as I understand it. And some mutts can be a little iffy as well. But a chicken like a Leghorn or an RIR...if you can't sex those by ten weeks of age, you probably need new glasses.

Via crest, I guessed the white was male (crest feathers pointing slightly forwards. I didn't look at the cuckoo.) And it's harder to sex silkies than it is any other chicken, as I understand it. And some mutts can be a little iffy as well. But a chicken like a Leghorn or an RIR...if you can't sex those by ten weeks of age, you probably need new glasses.
X2!
While this does apply to silkies, it is insulting to blanket statement assert that sexing is nothing more than a guess when many breeds and "breeds" are sexable with certainty at hatch, when feathering comes in across the chest at 3+ weeks, by 6 weeks, etc

Last edited:
I would have thought the white light skinned silkie was a boy anyway because of the pink comb that’s starting to develop.

The silkies in the pic you provided are too young to base gender on their crests shape. I’ve had a few girls go through a spiky crest faze when they are in their teen weeks. Silkies are tough to sex early and dna may not be something someone with a lot of chicks can afford.

Many common breeds can be sexed between 3-6 weeks. Large pink/red comb and feather growth or color pattern are some of the easiest ways to tell.

X2!
While this does apply to silkies, it is insulting to blanket statement assert that sexing is nothing more than a guess when many breeds and "breeds" are sexable with certainty at hatch, when feathering comes in across the chest at 3+ weeks, by 6 weeks, etc
I was not talking about all breeds , and I assumed it was obvious that I wasn't referring to sex linked breeds . I mainly meant silkies and polish so I will edit my post to specify as such.Thank you for clarifying.

Last edited:
See my reply to another commenter... I have edited my post to be more specific. Thanks! As for your comment about chicks being male because the "crest points forward" - ?? Well, that is not a valid point, but even if it were, these chicks are too young to be sexed on appearance- which is the whole point of my post.

Last edited:
I would have thought the white light skinned silkie was a boy anyway because of the pink comb that’s starting to develop.

The silkies in the pic you provided are too young to base gender on their crests shape. I’ve had a few girls go through a spiky crest faze when they are in their teen weeks. Silkies are tough to sex early and dna may not be something someone with a lot of chicks can afford.

Many common breeds can be sexed between 3-6 weeks. Large pink/red comb and feather growth or color pattern are some of the easiest ways to

Last edited:

Many common breeds can be sexed between 3-6 weeks. Large pink/red comb and feather growth or color pattern are some of the easiest ways to tell.
Silkies don't normally have pink combs regardless of gender. Their combs should be dark purplish. Both these silkies have incorrect combs and both are pink.
I know the pictured chicks are too young to sex, that's the whole point of my post. I have edited it to specify that I meant certain breeds. Thank you.

Silkies and Polish (I don't even attempt to venture guesses at the latter) are certainly significantly more difficult to determine genders on, and I'm nearly positive all experienced members here understand these fundamentals. :) The length of time it takes to be sure in some cases is astonishing! However, when considering a few lesser quality Silkies, the gender game becomes much easier. Take my Fabio, for example. He possesses not only an incorrect comb type, but also one that doesn't conform to any comb type category. I'd label it a modified single comb, perhaps. Because of this improper comb, his identity became apparent quite early due to the fact it developed much faster than the standard walnut. By around 10 weeks, I had a couple of my Silkie cockerels singled out for this very reason. They also acquired wattles much sooner than everyone else. Chock it up to those inferior Silkies!

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom