sexing golden comet chicks

I think I got stuck in the Cornish X vs Golden Commet. I know he is a roo but geez he is a porker... He is 4 times the size of my pullets that are a week 1/2 older than him!!! he is cute though... just uber big. I dont think that I could "process" him.There seems to be some confusion over there at TSC... not sure if I will go there again in the future... esp since now being into raising chickens there are some amazing breeds out there!!!
love.gif

I thought I would post to your thread instead of starting a new one. I just got 5 chicks from my neighbor. We had rhode island reds on order but they didn't hatch right so she switched up with golden comets.

My question is--are the roosters really obviously light yellow or can it be subtle? I have one that is a little lighter but it kind of depends on the lighting. I am having a hard time telling if I have one rooster. I can try to do a picture....is it easy to do on this site? They told me they would trade if I have any roosters and I'd rather do it sooner than later before we get 'attached.'

Hope you don't mind me joining in with your thread!

Quote:
The RSL pullets vary in the shades of red with some being light in color. If you look at Amyj's picture in post 14 the very front chick should be a female. The two on the right are male. There is another male in the middle and I believe you can only see his rump or head. IMHO, the males are should be a light yellow color with no reddish tint.

I bought my chicks at TSC, they are not what the employees told me when I bought them. I was told by the store manager, if you still have your receipt, we will give you back your money. BUT, they did not want the chicks back. That is ok, I have too much invested in feed to be interested in taking them back to the store.

And, of course I still have the receipt !!!
wink.png

Quote:
Oh yes TSC, sell straight run sex links(golden comets) JUST PICK out the buff /red you will have all pullets, the yellow ones are roosters. Always check the tag, as they sell straight run, all pullets, and othes.

Funny some workers still dont know how to sex the sex link chicks, my friend get his golden comet pullet that way every year.

Yep, the TSC I goto sells straight run Sex Links/Golden Comets. Not sure why but they do
hmm.png
and they also had a bin labeled Golden comet pullets.

and the straight run tank was cheaper lol, lol, lol

Yea the TSC in Westminster MD also had the straight run cheaper. Straight run were 50 cents each, I bought six, two were roos and I told the guy to take them out and give me the red ones, he said he could not. It was OK though, my neighbor wants them to annoy his other neighbor.

I am in the same boat. The guy at TSC told me I was buying 2 RIR and 4 Cornish Rocks. I figured out later the RIR were really gold sex link and now I am trying to figure out if the yellow chicks were male sex link or true cornish rocks. Will post pics on the "guess my gender/breed"....

ugh

Back
Top Bottom