1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Langshen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RubberChickenLubber, Mar 25, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I hatched a Langshen that was given to me by someone who is just getting started in Langshens. She told me that since Bullie (it's top beak is shorter than it's bottom beak) had feathers on it's legs that it was a girl. Don't all Langshen's have feathers on their legs. Is this true?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

3. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Yeah that's kinda what I thought, and no she/he isn't debeaked, that's how Bullie hatched.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww poor punkin', I have an EE mix with cross beak and he is the sweetest thing. [​IMG] Sometimes it's the different ones that are so endearing...

Although I hope that breeder isn't using Bullie's parents in her breeding program it could be genetic.

5. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I imagine she is. Bullie was one of the first eggs layed, so I'm hoping maybe that may have something to do with it. I know she'll hatch several, and if it does continue to show she'll quit using them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by