Sexing light brahma x buff orpington

ArcticBark

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
I was told this mix should be easy to sex as soon as the chicks start feathering out. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, what should I be looking out for? It’s a light Brahma roo and a buff orpington hen
538DDD70-4E87-4D9F-99F0-EFE1D9F068BD.jpeg

Here’s a 2-day old :)

You might need to wait till she is a bit bigger and has some of her feathers in. I know Faverolles you can wing sex them, but I don't know about this breed. Hopefully someone else can help you.

I was told this mix should be easy to sex as soon as the chicks start feathering out. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, what should I be looking out for? It’s a light Brahma roo and a buff orpington henView attachment 2709316

Here’s a 2-day old :)
This is sex linked as the Brahma is silver-based and the Buff Orpington is gold based. Agree it will be difficult to tell as the differences will be subtle in the down color of the chicks.
If the Brahma is the father then the female chicks should be more silvery/white colored down and the male chicks more gold colored down.
Will be more evident as they feather out.😊

This is sex linked as the Brahma is silver-based and the Buff Orpington is gold based. Agree it will be difficult to tell as the differences will be subtle in the down color of the chicks.
If the Brahma is the father then the female chicks should be more silvery/white colored down and the male chicks more gold colored down.
Will be more evident as they feather out.😊
Well that makes sense, and would totally explain the “once they feather out” bit. Funnily enough, while I’d indeed expect gold chicks to be “yellow” and silver chicks to be white, this has blotches of both while I guess it’ll be unicolour🥳

Back
Top Bottom