sexing of chicks- we need help! **picture heavy***

dblea202

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
We have never sexed baby chicks before so we wanted to post something on here...we got them from TSC and they were labeled red pullets...but we didn't know how trustworthy tSC is. we also have two older chicks at the bottom we know the breed just didn't know the gender.

Chick 1

chick 2

Chick 3

chick 4

We have two other chicks that look like number 2 and 4

here are our almost 4 week old chicks

Golden Lakenvelder

BLRW

All the young chicks are females, theyre sex links from the look of it. That particular breed, all the hens are reddish buff with the stripes like you have, and the roosters are whitish yellow. Google "Golden comet" for more pics of them. :)
I think the Lakenvelder might be a rooster, and I can't tell with the BLRW.
Good luck, cute chicks!!!

I purchased some sexed birds and 2 that were straight run from TSC. I think I have 3 roos. But I really will not know until they age a little. They are now approx. 3 weeks old. You might post your pics on a thread that is for the particular breed...the breeders of those birds hang out there and are experienced at picking out subtle clues to tell the sex. It might be worth a try. I feel all pullets but the last 2 ...looks rooish to me.

All the young chicks are females, theyre sex links from the look of it. That particular breed, all the hens are reddish buff with the stripes like you have, and the roosters are whitish yellow. Google "Golden comet" for more pics of them. :) 
I think the Lakenvelder might be a rooster, and I can't tell with the BLRW. 
Good luck, cute chicks!!! 

We were really hoping that the golden lakenvelder was gonna be a hen...what makes you think a roo?

We were really hoping that the golden lakenvelder was gonna be a hen...what makes you think a roo?
Just his/her face right now, and it's legs seem kinda long. I think the Lakenvelder hens have small-ish combs. The lighter breed roosters seem to have huge combs. That's what I'm going off of, but don't loose faith yet!! I could be totally wrong here. I've had leghorns and anconas, and the roos *usually get a really upright, defined comb pretty early. But then again there isnt any sign of redness yet. gg706 had a point, the people on the Lakenvelder thread could probably help more.

Just the thick legs and the upright stances for me. But I am NO expert...far from it. I would post the pics of the last 2 on a Lakenvelder thread and wyandotte thread, the breeders can probably give you pretty good results. None of it is 100 percent until they crow or lay an egg..it is always more of an educated guess.

Back
Top Bottom