Sexing Orpingtons

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
Do Orpington hens feather in faster than the roos? I have 4 Orpington Chicks that hatched on June 26, 2 are white and 2 are buff. The White ones are feathering in alot faster than the buffs. I figure that the white ones are hens from the feathering and the buffs are roos, But the combs on the white ones are bigger than the ones on the buffs. Here is a picture of 2 of the chicks. Am I right to think the whites are hens?

Orpingtonchicks14July08.jpg

Where did you get the hatching eggs from? Is there a chance that the white ones are not orpingtons?

Last edited:
Where di you get your chicks from and are you sure the white ones are orpingtons?

The little white one looks like a cockeral to me. Sometimes you can just tell by the way they stand and behave.

You have two separate color/breed of orps...Not going to be able to tell by feather growth...Still too early to sex gender....

There are white orpingtons...there are blue/black/splash, blacks, buffs and whites...

I will say the white orp chick looks to have a large comb which would indicate cockeral if the wattles are growing at the same rate...

They are suppose to be white orpingtons and buff orpingtons. I got them from North Georgia. Out of 20 eggs these are the 4 that hatched and lived. I had 3 buffs that got smashed by the hen as they hatched.

They are very cute. I was asking because heavens knows there have been people who think they have one egg and they suddenly have a different chick. LOL

They are cute as can be. I think the white is a cockeral. he just looks like he is ready to crow. LOL

Back
Top Bottom