Sexing Pigeons?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by thepromise, Jul 5, 2011.

1. thepromise

thepromise Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    I hatched out a bunch of new Orpington chicks this weekend. [​IMG] and i ran out of chick starter. So i went to the feed store to get more. When I hot there 6 poor pigeons were loocked up in a small cage in their own poo!!! [​IMG] so i decided to buy them. I got them home and i let them loose in my chicken isolation coop. It took about 30mins for them to settle down and start flying from one end to the other. and soon they began feeding. [​IMG] I was wondering if you can sex pigeons like you sex chickens. Is there any physical thing i should look for in both sex? Here are a few pics. Any help will do. If you can tell by the pictures, PLEASE point out the sex! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Left to Right: Pigeon 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6

[​IMG]
    Left to Right: Pigeon 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6

[​IMG]
    Left to Right: Pigeon 2 & 5

[​IMG]
    Pigeon 1

* Thanks Ahead of time. [​IMG]

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    pigeons are sexed by how they act, males strut and make a cooing noise while bobbing their heads, the only way to tell if they are female is if they lay an egg, i still have some that i'm trying to figure out, go to youtube and look up some pigeon videos and you'll see what i'm talking about, oh and males will drag their tales on the ground when strutting, hope this helps

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Or you could take a string attached to a metal nail on a string and If it goes in a circle its a hen in a line a cock Its an old wives tail

4. thepromise

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    Quote:[​IMG]

ill try it if all else fails. [​IMG]

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Someone from my club had good luck with it although i did have this he-she pigeon I didn't know what it was asked a bunch of people as well

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    ive heard of pelvic space sexing, how about that? my rollers were supposedly sexed that way, but two are still seeming sorta sqweakers, so dont know how would know if both girls yet, or would girls be evident if feathered by now, but still sqweaking occassionally when handle?

7. amrose

amrose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    An ole timer once showed me how to sex a pigeon by feeling the pelvic bones. If the two pelvic bones are pointy and thin, then it's a hen. If it feels more like a flat toothpick then it's a male. I'm not sure how accurate but worth a try.

8. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    thanks! there isnt any diffrence in the space between also, or could that just be indicating age or something wrong?

9. thepromise

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    So i went to feed them today and while the all of them were eating Pigeon #2 was puffy and chasing Pigeon #1 around. Is this a courtship thing. Im guessing #2 is a boy and #1 is a girl??? Or is this just something they do? [​IMG]

10. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:this is usually the case with mature birds, but not always the rule. I had an ash red fantail cock that had really open pelvic space, but that was definately a cock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by