Sexing question - new pix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Wifezilla, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My coturnix quail are a few weeks old now. I have been watching them feather out and I am not seeing anyone with redish feathers on the breast. In fact they are all pretty speckled. Do coturnix quail go through a period where they look like girls and then boys get their "big kid feathers"? Ducks do this, but quail? Could I be so lucky as to have 6 girls from chicks I bought straight run and just reached my hand in and grabbed who I could? Do I need to go by a lotto ticket??

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wz You May Be Lucky.... I Have Seen The Odd Occaisional Androgenous Male That Has A Speckled Chest, But They Are Rare. More Likely You Hit The Str8 Run Jackpot Babay! Come On Down Here To Florida And Rub All Over My Incubators... Maybe Some Of That Mojo Will Rub Off On 'em?

[​IMG]

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If there browns you can start to feather sex them at about 1 month old.... any earlier and your pee'in in the breeze!!! Bill

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are brown and just over two weeks old. I am trying not to get too excited, but the only other quail chick we had here was Zombie. you guys pegged him as being a boy pretty darn young. I'm trying to get picks, but come on. Quail are little spazzos!! HOLD STILL DARN YA!!!

Ok, I dug out zombie's baby pic.
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic a took a few days ago of a few of the new kids.
    [​IMG]

I will post new ones once I get back to the office. They look very spotted on the chest area now.

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I would'nt bet the farm for a least a week yet. I do hope your right thou. I have never been sure before around 4 weeks old. Bill

6. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Yeah from that picture I could not be sure yet. They don't have enough spots down low in the center of the breast. Still too much fuzz.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't try until they have all their feathers. Looks too early.

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I took these yesterday. Still not great shots...they are awfully active at this age! LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Whie Not All Pix Show Full On Chest Shots.... They All Look Pretty Henish To Me...[​IMG]

10. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Going out on a limb here... The second pic down and the bird on the left is a cock. Going by the darker rust colored lower facial marking just under the eye and the rust coloring on the breast. you may have hens for the rest. To be sure we need full on breast photos of each bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by