sexing seramas! please help!

S1ilkieGirl99

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
hi I have two two week old serama chicks, i know it is way to early to tell, but i wondered if anyone had any idea what gender they might be. just to add, chick 2 is slightly bigger and stands taller, it also has a slightly larger and 'redder' comb. i'm hoping this means i have a cock and a hen - as i'm hoping to breed my own, i cant keep two cockerels, and i don't want to separate them! thank you so much in advance! *fingers crossed!!*

chick 1

chick 1

chick 1
chick 2

chick 2

chick 2

P.S. these photos were taken a few days ago, and in that time the chicks have 'blossomed' - meaning that the one that i hope is a cock (chick 2) has grown a slightly larger and darker comb than chick 1. thanks again!

NCChickchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Greenville, NC
In my experience (which is limited) Serama cockerels seem to start looking like boys earlier than other breeds. So i think if you have one with a bigger comb at 2 weeks, and you can see a visible difference between nestmates, you probably have a pair. Fingers crossed.

S1ilkieGirl99

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
In my experience (which is limited) Serama cockerels seem to start looking like boys earlier than other breeds. So i think if you have one with a bigger comb at 2 weeks, and you can see a visible difference between nestmates, you probably have a pair. Fingers crossed.
Ps. Very cute babies!
great!
thank you so much! i'll hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst! Thank you again! and yes they are gorgeous, i have never had seramas before, and i'm hoping that i can breed from the two, as they were the only eggs that were fertile out of six.

Top Bottom