Sexing Silkie chicks

Kessel23

Hi Bug
6 Years
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello everyone, I read in another post about someone who was sexing silkie chicks at 1-4 days old by looking at there combs? I was wondering if this is possible, if it is then that is cool because I can trick the local farmers out of there pullet chicks. I know this sounds kinda mean but there is a silkie farmer at this swap meet every year when I go there, he always has tons of boxes full of silkie chicks and when people who live in town come to the swap meet they always want to buy the silkie chicks. The farmer grabs them and looks at their crests for like a second and then says they are hens, he does this to literally every chick, he always says they are a hen, no matter what! He obviously does not actually know their gender and is just tricking people into buying something that has a 50% chance of being a rooster. If you guys have any tricks I could use to sex young silkies I will definitely use them to pick out all pullets this year. The farmer sells different age chicks, 1-7 days, 2 weeks, 7 weeks, and 10 weeks, I think they are a little expensive, he charges $10 per chick, and more for older chicks.

No, you cannot tell them at chick age. So he is definitely being very dishonest, and will probably not have any returning customers! Silkies are Generally slower to mature, so some you can't tell until they are quite a bit older. But you should have a pretty good chance at getting what you want with his ten week olds. Bigger combs and wattles, and spiky crests point to roosters. So it you pick out ones that have the smallest combs and wattles, and good rounded crests, you have a pretty good chance. Of course, because they are Silkiez, you may get a too every now and then.
Oh, If I were you, I might make a few hand written signs, about is guy, and put up, so that all these poor people that don't know any better don't get tricked!

Back
Top Bottom