White Silkies recessive or dominant

Sc_chickengirl

Beware!?!? Horse Crazy Human on the Loose!
Jan 20, 2022
South Carolina
I've had my white silkies for like 2 years. I've been hatching their eggs I they always have white chicks with 0 leakage. I know their parents were white. Does this make them recessive or dominant white silkies?? Help please. 😂

Do you have any pictures of the chicks you've been getting from them? Sometimes, you can tell which white gene it is by the chick down. Smoky-looking chicks generally are recessive white, and chicks that are almost reddish-yellow are generally dominant white, but chicks that are just yellowish or whitish could be either gene. Beyond that, yes, outcrossing to other colors is your best bet to tell which white gene you're dealing with.

Do you have any pictures of the chicks you've been getting from them? Sometimes, you can tell which white gene it is by the chick down. Smoky-looking chicks generally are recessive white, and chicks that are almost reddish-yellow are generally dominant white, but chicks that are just yellowish or whitish could be either gene. Beyond that, yes, outcrossing to other colors is your best bet to tell which white gene you're dealing with.
1695481250129.png

1695481350389.png

1695481463066.png

Hmm, they're just enough in between that I'm not positive which they are based on their chick down. If you really want to know which they are, outcross them to another color. All chicks from recessive white crossed to another color should be colored, not white. Some chicks could be white in this case if the birds you outcross to happen to be carrying the recessive white gene (it can hide like this because of being recessive), but not all of them will be, so that's your key. Dominant white that has been breeding true, however, should make all white chicks when outcrossed to another color, possibly with just little flecks of color on them here and there.

Back
Top Bottom