Sexing Silkie Chicks????

kathnkyle

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Dorset, England
HI, I have 13 Silkie chicks that are about 8-10 weeks old now and was wondering how I could tell what sex they are?? I also have a sussex bantham that is 5 weeks old and as it has small wattles that are quite red and its comb is growing already im guessing its prob a boy??
Many Thanks for any help!!
xx

It's so so hard to sex silkies, I have a bunch myself and guess all the time, seems like a week later I change my mind.... sometimes when they are young you think one thing and then as they get older you dont know anymore, they must change there sex just to screw with our heads, LOL !!!!

Do you have any pics ? That might help !!!!!

I had asked a similar question about sexing silkies a few weeks ago. I was told. more or less, if it crows it's a roo, and if it lays an egg, it's a hen. So I'm guessing it is pretty impossible to tell! I have noticed that on some, the comb seems like it goes farther back on their heads. I think these might be the roos, but again, it's just a guess.

Sexing these guys is pretty difficult , especially if they have big crests and are very fluffy. I have 18 week old Silkies that I had believed were a cockeral and two pullets for the past 2 months and to my shock all three crowed in front of me the other day.
I was stunned because I was so sure.
BamaChicken gave me some advice to feel the combs and the ones that were flatter were more likely to be pullets. So, I was doing this with my 15 weeks olds today and I have went from 1 cockeral and 4 pullets to probably 3 , possibly 4 cockerals and 1 maybe 2 pullets.
Since I have some promising young roos , I am really hoping for some nice pullets. I am hoping to buy eggs or chicks from some of the people here next year and try some hatching to get some nice quality new birds for my flock.
Some of the more experienced Silkie people here might be able to help you if you post some pics.
Michele

Your Silkies are beautiful! From what I can tell it does look like you have a roo and two hens. The ones with bigger crests and more fluff can really fool you though!

Michele

I just got 2 silkie chicks: a buff and a white. They are 2 weeks old and the white one is bigger than the buff. I obviously don't know their sex yet but am very curious---and a little concerned. Are the roosters as loud as other roosters. I'm afraid my neighbors will hate me if I have roos!! Also, does it mean anything that my buff has 4 toes on one foot and 5 toes on the other?

and one more question...do you keep your silkies with your other chickens... somehow they seem so much smaller and more vulnerable? My other chicks aren't much older... they're 4 weeks old, but they do seem much bigger.....

Sexing silkie chickens via external characteristics isn't always effective, even for the most experienced chicken owner. Silkies with all the characteristics of males, including a tendency to crow in the morning, have been known to suddenly lay eggs. Cases like this are unusual, but demonstrate variability among individual animals. A silkie may be nearly a year old before it displays its gender.

I have a thread up on sexing Silkies too, I think because they are so hard to tell it's a common topic. Almost everything I've read says wait till it "lays or crows" which is what we'll do. I added two more silkies yesterday and their pictures aren't up in my other thread yet since I haven't done a photo shoot with them.

Here's the link to my other thread... I plan to update it in a few weeks or maybe sooner if I can get some good pictures of my two splash (leaning toward pullets).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565062

can you tell what this one is...a roo or a hen?? thanks, Barb
its 7 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom