Sexing Spaldings?

Misssc

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
How old do spaldings need to be before they can be sexed? I picked one up on Friday and would like to know what I have or what to eventually look for. The chick is 2 or 3 months old. Any help is appreciated.

57944_spaldingpeachick82711.jpg

57944_spaldingpeachicka82711.jpg

57944_spaldingpea082711.jpg

Hi Misssc,
Can you please send me the photoes of fully opened wings, on pale/white background, and once I read the colour on wing, I will tell you about sex of your peafowl.

Cheers

Clinton.
smile.png

Quote:
Instead of having everyone that wants their birds sexed email you pictures ( that kinda sounds fishy to me ) why not have them post pictures on here so everyone can see.???????

That's the bad thing about Spaldings both male and female will have some barring, but I would say that is a low % Spalding male it has no yellow on the face and at this age it should if higher %.

Quote:
Instead of having everyone that wants their birds sexed email you pictures ( that kinda sounds fishy to me ) why not have them post pictures on here so everyone can see.???????

Not to sound mean but I will have to agree this time.

Hi Exotics R Us,
welcome-byc.gif
I am a member here and I am working on moults of peafowls, which are largely unknown.

Sending the pictures of open wings, help me to look at colours and pattens which tell me whether immature peafowls are male or female and moult pattens and growth rates of primary flight feathers help me aging the immature peafowls correctly., and to make moults more known.
I had been helpful toward members of BYC (Short name for BackYardChickens).

I lives in New Zealand.

Peafowls are interesting beautiful colourful birds, more interesting is wee brown-coloured American robin-sized male peachicks can change colours and grow into colourful huge peafowls the size of wild turkey.

I am asking you nicely, Since you are new to this website .... Can you please be nice and be very patient to members of BYC as some of members are children and women.
I am not trying to hurt your feeling.

I am interested in peafowls and birds.

There are two species of peafowls...Indian Blue peafowl and Green peafowl, in India and Asia.

Word "Spalding" Peafowls are hybrid between Indian Blue Peafowl and Green Peafowl.

Short names

IB =Indian Blue
BS =Black-shouldered

Clinton.

Quote:

Quote:

I have been a member just as long as you have look at the dates, plus I have over 15 years of breeding peafowl how many do you have?? I'm just wondering.

Hi Ricky,
I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I don't have peafowls today, but I used to had three IB peafowls on 1994-1995, and I had been studying moults of peafowls for years, moults of peafowls are largely unknown. Now I am working on moults of peafowls.
Post-juvenile moult start when male peachick is about 37 days old and have to pass 5 plumages...juvenile, immature, 1st adult, 2nd adult and adult, reaching breeding age soon after 1st train are fully grown at 3 year old. Flight feathers of peachicks & peafowls grow slowly at 4mm per day and trail feathers grow at 7mm per day.
A 1535mm train feather take 225 days to grow, while fish-tail-tipped longest train feathers take 240 days to grow.
Adult male peafowl take about 370 days to renew all flight feathers.
Throat & chin of immature male IB peafowls are creamy white until 15 month old, then at 15 months old-become mottled with blue immature feathers and at 19 months old throat & chin are entirely blue.

Moults of peafowls need lot of studying as most moults of peafowls are largely unknown.

So I need some helps from some members who are willing to help me.

Cheers

Clinton.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom