Sexing the Brahma breed, (standard size, Light Brahma)

Pics
It really doesn't matter to me if she is a hen or a Roo but it would be nice to know for sure. I rescued her in June so I'm not sure how old she is, I know she's still really young and I know she's a brahma. Can anyone tell me if she's a hen or Roo? I have been thinking hen since I got her.

Looks pullet-ish to me. I don't see any pointy saddle or hackle feathers, and the comb isn't too red. Lovely bird!

Please help. We bought 6 chickens that were suppose to be all hens. (insert laugh here) 4 Delaware, a Light Brahma, and a Sliver Wyandotte. Now... The one Delaware turned out to be a Rooster and I know this because he crows. Boy does he crow. He also does this thing where he exerts his dominance/ trying to mate by biting the backs of the hens necks. Oh and I have a Red Ranger Hen from a previous nightmare that went horribly wrong (but that's another story). So anyhow, my Light Brahma is huge. Gigantic compared to the others. So of course he/she thinks it runs the coop even though the rooster thinks he does.

So Fuzzy Feet (the Light Brahma) has never crowed but today I saw her bite the back of one of the other chickens necks. It might have even been Frederick (the rooster). I can't find definitive photo proof online whether or not my hen should or shouldn't have a cone and waddle. I know some breeds of hens do. My boy's friend's mom has chickens laying eggs that I would swear by looking at them were roosters. So.... Here is a picture of Fuzzy Feet. Take your best educated guess.

Hmmmm. Can't see real well since this is on my phone, but it sort of looks like some saddle feathers on the rear? And unless you got a photo of an angry hen, that's pretty red for a hen. Brahmas can be tricky, but I'd be prepared for a crow
1f413.png

It has the exact same coloring as what someone online is calling a Columbian Wyandotte. Just without the feet feathers. Any chance it is a mix breed?

Last edited:
So why after all this time has it not tried to vocalize. With my last batch, I ended up with 5 roosters and when one started crowing, they all did. When Frederick started a month ago, Fuzzy Feet hasn't even tried to make a sound. The Red Ranger hen even makes noises, but the Light Brahma doesn't hardly speak at all.

Please help. We bought 6 chickens that were suppose to be all hens. (insert laugh here) 4 Delaware, a Light Brahma, and a Sliver Wyandotte. Now... The one Delaware turned out to be a Rooster and I know this because he crows. Boy does he crow. He also does this thing where he exerts his dominance/ trying to mate by biting the backs of the hens necks. Oh and I have a Red Ranger Hen from a previous nightmare that went horribly wrong (but that's another story). So anyhow, my Light Brahma is huge. Gigantic compared to the others. So of course he/she thinks it runs the coop even though the rooster thinks he does. So Fuzzy Feet (the Light Brahma) has never crowed but today I saw her bite the back of one of the other chickens necks. It might have even been Frederick (the rooster). I can't find definitive photo proof online whether or not my hen should or shouldn't have a cone and waddle. I know some breeds of hens do. My boy's friend's mom has chickens laying eggs that I would swear by looking at them were roosters. So.... Here is a picture of Fuzzy Feet. Take your best educated guess.
Those do look like long saddle feathers coming in to me too. I'm voting roo. My cockeral is developing at a painstakingly low pace so I don't think it would be out of the question for him to be a late crower.

Finally looking at him online so I can see it bigger - yep, I see saddle feathers still. Brahmas are very late developers. I think they don't reach maturity until 2 years, so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't crow yet. And yes, light brahmas look very much like Columbian Wyandottes with furry feet. I have both, but my Wyandottes are a much lighter build than the heavier brahmas :)

Back
Top Bottom