Sexing turkeys?

As @R2elk elk has stated they are adults at that age and don't need as high protein%. Looks like you have other poultry as well and an all flock is a good all-around feed for mixed flocks with oyster shells on the side for laying birds. And you don't need to buy 2 or 3 different feeds.

We mix two types together. One is 20% and one is 28%.
That mixed half and half is a 24% protein as long as it meets other requirements that's ok, but you are still buying different feeds and taking time to mix when you could simplify and just use one. At that age just the 20% would work also. I feed 28% starter for only first 12 weeks others only out to 6 or 8 weeks. I do feed a 24% game bird grower after that but that high a protein % in not really needed to maintain your flock. I do a lot of breeding and like the higher protein to keep them in optimum breeding health. But you have to watch because too much can be detrimental to health also.

Last edited:
As @R2elk elk has stated they are adults at that age and don't need as high protein%. Looks like you have other poultry as well and an all flock is a good all-around feed for mixed flocks with oyster shells on the side for laying birds. And you don't need to buy 2 or 3 different feeds.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. We were just feeding what the lady we got the first two bourbon reds from fed her adult flock. Now that I know it’ll be great not to have to buy a million types of feed! :)

Thanks for the advice! So you don’t recommend game bird feed? Is there a brand specifically you recommend of all flock? I know they aren’t all created equal. Thanks again :)
Game bird feed is great for juveniles. Adults don't need a high protein diet. They do benefit from the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin found in all flock feeds.

Back
Top Bottom